Honored Contributor

Re: Appliances and their life expections

@Foxxee   We have one of those garage refrigerators that I'm sure will out live anything we have in the kitchen,...have noticed appliances just don't last.  If you get 10 years, I think it is a very good life span now.

Esteemed Contributor

@sissel, my home is 13 years old.  All my appliances are still going.  I chose to replace my fridge because no one carries inventory any more and it takes 5 weeks for delivery.  Who can live for 5 weeks without a fridge.  

My best appliances are Bosch dishwasher and dual fuel stove (propane top, electric convection oven).  I paid more for those and I love them.  I try to keep it simple.  My new fridge had an ice maker which I didn’t even hook up.  I gave my old fridge to my appliance repair man.

I bought a Whirlpool after much research.  LM

Valued Contributor

BF just replaced the frig w/an Amana.......no ice maker and no water dispenser. Love the bottom freezer as we kept hitting our heads on the top freezer of the old fridge. We did remove one of the dividers in the freezer compartment in order to fit a frozen pizza. 

The sales people kept pushing us towards GE and I wondered if they were not going to carry them any longer. 

He loves black appliances...........so hard to keep smudge proof. LOL 

Valued Contributor

BTW they do make refrigerators with either a textured or smooth SMUDGE FREE FINISH and  although an added expense, it is most definitely worth it!

Respected Contributor

Had to comment on this thread since my washer, of many years, had the bearings fail and quit.  Last year, I replaced that washer with a Maytag Bravos.  What a BIG mistake!  I've had nothing but trouble with the washer and it's not even out of warranty.   Several (7, to be exact) service calls and three separate repairs (one computer board, two actuators, and wire harness)  for the same 'sensing' issues and not moving from one cycle to another.  The machine is possessed!  It will work sometimes and, other times, just sits there blinking 'sensing.'  I have tried contacting Maytag, which is now owned my Whirlpool with no satisfaction.  Our state does not have a 'lemon law' with appliances, so Whirlpool wins. 

If I knew this, I would have done whatever I needed to replace the bad bearings in the old machine.   The appliances today are made of plastic parts and are not made to last.  In my case, not even one year!     

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

We have 2 refrigerators. The main one we use is an Amana. It is 26 years old and still runs great. The second is a Kenmore. It is about 9-10 years old. Still in great form. We haven't had any problems with either one. Washers now that is a whole other story!

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

@SharkEok i'm big mashmello's & paid Dd fridge with her french doors she loves it no way she has money for it ok I paid it, well her fridge broke down so Mom has to come in so funny they put frozen totes outback to keep frozen, well Had to step in yep over$1,000 plus more had to step in. yep mama had to get that fridge.all i said when i die you get that much less enjoy the fridge

Yikes ! Talk about bad luck ! Bless your heart is all I can say. Thank God I haven't had to deal with that. Right now we're putting new windows on front of house is my latest adventure LOL

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Had to comment on this thread since my washer, of many years, had the bearings fail and quit.  Last year, I replaced that washer with a Maytag Bravos.  What a BIG mistake!  I've had nothing but trouble with the washer and it's not even out of warranty.   Several (7, to be exact) service calls and three separate repairs (one computer board, two actuators, and wire harness)  for the same 'sensing' issues and not moving from one cycle to another.  The machine is possessed!  It will work sometimes and, other times, just sits there blinking 'sensing.'  I have tried contacting Maytag, which is now owned my Whirlpool with no satisfaction.  Our state does not have a 'lemon law' with appliances, so Whirlpool wins. 

If I knew this, I would have done whatever I needed to replace the bad bearings in the old machine.   The appliances today are made of plastic parts and are not made to last.  In my case, not even one year!     

yrs ago I got took in by Maytag name and bought one after one yr the bearings went out ! We couldn't believe it since I didn't take out the extended warranty I was left high and dry. To put in new bearings would had been down time with no washer and I'm not going to a laudromat

the cost was out of this world, so, back to the store.

Sad, folks, I"m telling you it's all a card toss, nowdays.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We moved into our home almost 20 years ago and all appliances were included.

In the basement we have a Fridgedaire fridge which we affectionately call Big Brown.  It was probably put in the house when it was built in the 60's and is still going strong (although I'm sure it costs a ton in electricity every year).

The washer and dryer were also about 20 years old at the time we moved in.  Within a couple years we had to replace them when one of them stopped working.  We purchased new at Big Box store - those lasted less than 10 years and dryer died so we bought brand new but went to a local appliance store.  The local store will only sell the best of the best.

We have also replaced our Hot Water heater twice.  First time(within a couple years of moving in) went to Big Box store - that one lasted around 6 years.  Next time went local again and purchased a Michigan Made Bradford White.  Much better product and has lasted over 10 years.

Moral of my long story - the life of your appliances also depends on where you purchase.  Those Big Box stores may have a big name brand but they are the cheap overseas junk.  If you go local or look elsewhere you get a much better quality appliance.  Also much better service.

Honored Contributor

That's probably true ! They just have to charge more because they don't have the volume of like Best Buy, Loew's, etc.