Regular Contributor

Re: Appliances and their life expections

I had a Kenmore washer and dryer for 10 years that I absolutely loved.  Unfortunately, the washer stopped working.  It was going to cost more to repair it than buy a new one.  I asked the repairman -- who we've known for years -- what would be a good replacement.  He suggested a commercial Speed Queen or Maytag washer.  Commercial machines aren't sold at big box stores.  They have a longer life span because they use metal rather than plastic parts.  I went to a small appliance store and looked at both machines.  The owner recomended the Maytag and that's what I ended up buying.  It was actually $200 cheaper than the Speed Queen.  I've only had it a month, but so far I've been pleased.  

Honored Contributor

I try to chose items that I can repair myself or only require a simple repair.

No fancy electronics, bells, whistles.

I've repaired my own washer twice - small stuff.

But it's just me and I take care of my things.

Those of you with big families, I feel your pain.

Lots of wear & tear on your appliances.

Respected Contributor

This afternoon, DH and I bought a Bosch dishwasher to replace an 8 year old Kitchen Aid that’s been nothing but trouble since its second year. Between its purchase price and all the service calls over the years, we figure we spent more on the Kitchen Aid than the Bosch (including taxes and installation). The salesman told me the average lifespan of most new appliances these days is 10 years. 

We bought a Samsung French door refrigerator at the same time as the Kitchen Aid dishwasher. I really like it, especially since I spend a lot more time looking in the fridge than the freezer. We chose not to connect the ice maker, since it’s tucked into its slot pretty well and we didn’t want to be bothered with plumbing problems or changing filters. Sometimes it’s noisy and I have to “liberate” the bottom veggie drawers when the condensate line periodically freezes up, but it’s not a big problem. 

We had to buy a new washer and dryer when we bought our house 35 years ago. They were Kenmores and worked well for about 20 years with only a couple of service calls in all that time. Their replacements have been working pretty well so far - knock on wood. 

For awhile there, I was going through electric cooktops and wall ovens on a fairly regular basis. While I wish they offered my Kenmore glass cooktop in “cooking stain brown”, I have no complaints about it. One of my best friends is a serious baker, so I bought the same wall oven she bought in a smaller size a couple of years ago. It’s a Whirlpool Gold series and I’ve been very happy with it. Again, knock on wood on both counts. 

They don’t make them like they used to, but that’s life so we'll deal with it as best as we can. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GiantsLover , that must be what  I have on my new fridge.  It is smudge free.  Love.  Also, you can’t put any magnets on the front of the new fridge so no junk there.  That is a good move too.  Hate a cluttered looking fridge.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia , I love my Bosch appliances!  Tall tub stainless steel dishwasher is still going strong 13 years later.  So quiet I have to double check to make sure it is running!  LM

Honored Contributor

don't buy the new ones