Respected Contributor

Appliances and their life expections

Appliances don't last long & only if they are a few years old get them fixed after 10 yrs give up. My daughter bought a 14yr old townhouse with orginal fridge, microwave & dishwasher told her get ready. Well last year microwave replaced this year dishwasher & fridge I said wow to even get 14yrs old of it was something. Oh the washer/dryer too. I had fridge & washers that lasted almost 20yrs but those days are gone. I check the reviews, seem it's the way it goes. Don't even think about cars that another thing we are at their mercy we have no idea. Just save up for when these things brake. I read somewhere usually around 12-13yrs. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appliances and their life expections

Our vehicles are 10 and 13 years old and going strong (Toyota).  One of them has about 275,000 miles.

A $300 dishwasher doesn't kill me.  I think the larger problem is the price some are willing to pay for "upscale" and option loaded things.

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don’t expect my appliances to last longer than 10 years.  I had my first refrigerator for just over 20 years, but I don’t think that will happen again. 

I have hard water where I live, so that takes years off the life of appliances like dishwashers and clothes washers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just replaced my refrig it was 10 yrs old. I'd say any more 10 yrs if your lucky that long.   Handle on my dryer is plastic not metal I'll know better next time

metal or bust. Plastic has already busted out at the top have to open at the bottom edge. Was under warranty last yr. guy came out for free, but, it pulled out again, so, now I open from the bottom edge.

Respected Contributor

Az has bad hard water, got softener then added this other thing takes chemicals out & other things too let's hope this works but even with hard water these appliances don't last who would even think to pay over $1,000 for a fridge that's normal now isn't that insane

Respected Contributor

Dh & I say after 10yrs just replace no sense even fixing it at this point. Just the 2 of us here and we do take care of appliances but still they break so much going into land fill they say old ones will be recycled who knows

Honored Contributor

I just paid 1350 for a LG ss 25 cubic foot side by side and I love it !

So big they had to take the front door off. Only thing I'll have is a side by side. Those frenchies don't interest me. Sacrifice to much top space just buy a small freezer and put out in mud room/laundry room

Respected Contributor

@SharkEok i'm big mashmello's & paid Dd fridge with her french doors she loves it no way she has money for it ok I paid it, well her fridge broke down so Mom has to come in so funny they put frozen totes outback to keep frozen, well Had to step in yep over$1,000 plus more had to step in. yep mama had to get that fridge.all i said when i die you get that much less enjoy the fridge

Honored Contributor

My father bought a late 1950's refrigerator 20 years ago...uses it for soda in the garage...and it's still going strong.

They don't make them like they did in the past, but I think a refrigerator should last at least 20 years, but don't expect that in the lowest priced refrigerator.

Contractors' appliances, those they put in new houses, have a lifespan of about 15 years. Often they were lower end GE. Not sure what they use now.  By the way, GE appliance division was sold to Haier, a Chinese company. Hard to believe GE did that. 

Before I buy anything anymore, I look for the manufacturers known for the best reliability.  Then, their models to find the most reliable and read buyers' reviews.  I do all this online before I look at anything in the stores. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had one large refrigerator kept in finished kitchen basement and that  was 30 years of age, and was still working when I sold that house and moved. No way to get it upstairs or I would have taken it with me. 3 refrigerators all pricey craped out over the span of 20 years,

They sure do not build them to last as long as they used to anymore. Also many do not even last 10 years, from what is written by consumers on the Internet.

So if I had to buy again I would get a regular model no extra options, no bells and whistles just a plain frost free that will not ice up and freeze everything in the refrigerator which is what I experienced with my last Home Depot $2,200.00 side by side frost free 25.4  inch  Maytag model.