Honored Contributor

Re: Anything you are reluctant to purchase due to rising prices?

I'm trying to buy what we need and will eat and not so many "interesting" things.  Healthy food, "real" food, and getting more greens like spinach from a can, frozen organic broccoli on sale, and making a baked potato more often to mix with the frozen broccoli. 

Right now I'm off to do a pickup from Whole Foods and feeling lucky to get over to Oklahoma City today because their hamburger and produce is top drawer.  Otherwise, it's mostly Walmart pickups for us now.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG - absolutely! The prices on simple items such as pajamas, tops, etc. are through the roof. I can go to target, or Kohl's and get pretty much the same thing for less. Plus I don't have to pay for return shipping, which is getting very high. I bought several pair of cuddle dud's pajamas, and none of them fit. The tops were OK, but the bottoms were like clown pants on. Plus the neck on the tops was just too big and open. Basically, I've been disappointed with my most recent purchases so I've stopped buying.

Respected Contributor

For the most part No, If I want it I purchase it.  The one thing I wont buy are foods from qvc. Their prices are outrageous and unwarranted. Can get better quality and lower prices else where or just make it ourselves. But I haven't purchased food from qvc in years, so it isn't a supply issue.

Super Contributor

I am very grateful for Aldi, the store has changed the way I eat because their prices on all things including fresh fruit fruits & vegetables are excellent year round.
I know it doesn't work for everyone, in fact I don't shop at the store closest to me. as the clientele there doesn't buy produce (or wear masks) so what's there isn't great. But at the 2 other stores near me, the produce always fresh.

Meats, cheeses & specialty items are a good buy, too. The aisle with gadgets often has very useful items value priced.

Bottom line- I haven't stopped buying any type food & considering how difficult these days are, I very grateful to not have that problem.

Honored Contributor

I did pass on a 4-pack of steaks at Costco but that was back before thanksgiving.  Since it's just two of us, food prices aren't much of an issue.  We don't eat much fruit so I don't notice the prices.

I would not want to be in the market for a new car though.  

Respected Contributor

My DH loves a beef stew, so I bought a boneless chuck roast for the slo cooker. It used to be a reasonable cut. I paid over $20 for less than 3 lbs.

I also like a good steak now and again, but when I priced them, I thought don't like it that much.

Fortunately, I eat very little meat of any kind nowadays.

Respected Contributor

I rarely buy fresh fruit out of season, but I know grandkids get fresh strawberries and raspberries now.  I saw organic fresh strawberries were about $7 for small container.  I offered DS some of the fresh fruit I had purchased in season and frozen in small portions.  Hopefully grands will learn to eat them.  

Honored Contributor

Depends upon where you live, of course, but your best chance to not be overcharged is to buy the fruits (and vegetables) that are in season.    

I've also been experimenting with the different Fall squash out there .... butternut, spaghetti, acorn, delicata and kombucha.     It's been fun to try something new.   

If you're looking for an interesting site, check out The Roasted Root dot com.