Honored Contributor

Re: Anything you are reluctant to purchase due to rising prices?

I still buy everything we like, but am more cautious with fruit purchases.  I never buy more than 4 bananas, 3 apples, and I'm choosing smaller containers of milk to insure that it gets used before it goes bad.   

Honored Contributor

We recognize how inflation has had a major impact on pric...

[ Edited ]

A house....

We recognize how inflation has had a major impact on prices.  We continue to live our lives as before accept for purchasing a home.  This inflation will force interest rates to rise,  as the house prices go down we will be buying in the future.  So we are not buying another home until the prices go down due to rising interest rates.  

Esteemed Contributor

Prices probably only going up.  So now is the lowest it will be.

If I need it  I buy it.  necessities only

Esteemed Contributor

I've put off homebuying/building, too but rumor is there may be early outs offered next year so I'm feeling the pressure to get it done soon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A house or a new vehicle.  

We're thinking about a new csr in the spring, if the prices improve. We also want to get a new washer and dryer, and a new garage door but haven't begun shopping or pricing them yet.

Grocerywise, that hasn't changed.  Most of the time I get our produce from Aldi or Walmart usually, but sometimes Costco.  Our meals are simple, modest amounts of meat, the right kinds of veggies or salad, and some healthy fat. I get our steaks, chicken breasts, and pork loin chops at Costco. One steak is large enough for two meals.  Grass fed ground beef, GF stew meat, and little GF roasts are at Aldi or Walmart. They are more expensive but each package will provide 4 servings.  

The one thing I am deliberating on is eggs.  We eat a lot of eggs and I buy pasture raised.  I was getting them from a local organic farm shop for $4.00/dozen, which is a lot for eggs, but was still better than at a supermarket.  Then they raised their price to $5.00 since production is lower in the winter.  Spending $20-25/month on eggs, and making a special trip to get them, seems ridiculous, but I still believe they're better .  I can get pasture raised egg at Walmart for right around the same price, which I'll probably keep doing for as long as I can.  Once DH retires, in a couple years, everything will be reevaluated; clothing, groceries, supplements, outings, vacations, all of it.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy the food we want. I buy my meats at Costco. I still buy beef because it's just the two of us so we can make many meals out of a roast. I buy the big package of hamburger for $20-25 but I get a lot of smaller packages. I buy the package of shredded chicken, divide it up into three packages and make a pot pie out of one package which will last 3-4 days. Fruit, I don't buy that much because it usually isn't that great and we don't eat it fast enough so I just buy a couple of oranges etc.

Honored Contributor

I buy several of the items on special and we have a freezer.

Respected Contributor

Fruits and vegetables are part of the healthy diet. Skimp on other things like soda, cigarettes, certain juices, chips, etc.

Honored Contributor

I feel sorry for young people and young couples just starting out.  Homes and everything associated with it --- so expensive!  And cars, even used ones are so high --- and I hear that the availability is not so good either.  We had thought to purchase another car --- not sure if it were to be a new or used, but due to the rising costs and availability, we have decided to just sit on it for now and see what happens, if anything.  As for food items, we do buy what we need and pretty much what we want, but try to buy generic brands when acceptable to us.  I saw a frozen pie that I thought would be tasty --- it was rhubarb and strawberry (love rhubarb) and it was nearly $13!  I said --- nope --- don't want it that bad!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

No I still buy the food items I usually buy. Only me and DD now. We eat meat but can manage to split a lb or less between us. fruit is a must for us as is fresh vegs. Now that xmas is over, my spending will be much less. Had to buy a new computer and printer a few months ago----so that took a chunk.  Can't imagine trying to buy a house or car these days.