Honored Contributor

Anything And GRAVY! An Insanity?

WHAT in the world is the seemingly inborn insanity with men and gravy? Cook anything, even something that's horrible, but put gravy over it and they swoon!

When our son graduated and was working construction under a contractor, I'd here of the unbelievably wonderful little places they would have breakfast with large biscuits and the wonderful GRAVY!  Our son didn't eat loads of fat growing up and his system acted as if it were poisoned!  He was almost deliciously with happiness as he described platters of bacon and sausage and GRAVY!!!  (He finally did find out when I showed him what went into gravy!)

Pot roast or whatever, gravy it and it will be perceived as heavenly food!!

Are the men in your family gaga over gravy?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anything And GRAVY! An Insanity?

Yes.

Honored Contributor

Not just men......

My family is from the south.  Enough said! whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I grew up only eating gravy, potatoes, rolls/biscuits on holidays.  We always had a vegetable, salad and protein for dinner and we never had dessert except on special occasions.  

Honored Contributor

Everybody but me seems to like gravy. Not a fan.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Gravy certainly makes my family happy!   At Thanksgiving, the dressing and gravy are by far the two most important food items of the day.   No one cares about the turkey or the cranberry sauce, it’s how much cornbread dressing and gravy I made, and how many days that will last.   

Esteemed Contributor

Nope - I'm not insane - I love gravy and so does hubby! My grandparents were farm families and gravy was a staple, so I sure don't see anything wrong with it. And what's wrong with what goes into gravy? Most of us don't make gravy with a lot of fat or grease in the pan if that's what you're referring to! LOL! I don't have gravy every day, but when I do, I relish every yummy bite!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

WHAT in the world is the seemingly inborn insanity with men and gravy? Cook anything, even something that's horrible, but put gravy over it and they swoon!

When our son graduated and was working construction under a contractor, I'd here of the unbelievably wonderful little places they would have breakfast with large biscuits and the wonderful GRAVY!  Our son didn't eat loads of fat growing up and his system acted as if it were poisoned!  He was almost deliciously with happiness as he described platters of bacon and sausage and GRAVY!!!  (He finally did find out when I showed him what went into gravy!)

Pot roast or whatever, gravy it and it will be perceived as heavenly food!!

Are the men in your family gaga over gravy?

Yes and @ECBG  you can make it without fat. You have to work ahead and make a good stock then reduce it. I chill it and remove the solid fat. You can then thicken it with a slurry. If you want to brown the flour that can be done in the oven. I just use a few drops of browning sauce and then just let it hang out on the back burner reducing even more. I add my seasonings and it is great and healthy. 

Esteemed Contributor

You mean gravy isn't a food group?  I don't make it often since DH passed away, but he loved it.  Chicken & biscuits w/gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits w/sausage grave.

On Thanksgiving day forget turkey, it's stuffing and gravy.  Next day a turkey sandwich with lettuce and mayo.  Oh yeah, hot turkey sandwiches w/gravy.

Like I said not often for any of it but by gosh it's good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

Gravy certainly makes my family happy!   At Thanksgiving, the dressing and gravy are by far the two most important food items of the day.   No one cares about the turkey or the cranberry sauce, it’s how much cornbread dressing and gravy I made, and how many days that will last.   

@RedTop OH SISTER!!!!  Am I ever there with you!Smiley Happy