Honored Contributor

Pros & cons, please

I make my own dough, I make my own pizza.

I have just a regular kitchen oven and a pizza stone.

My good pizza pan got ruined over Thanksgiving, want to try a peel

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use a Pizza Peel?

@software You are talking about using the pizza peel to transfer the pizza to the stone for baking, right?

Honored Contributor

@software We have used one for a long time.  We put cornmeal on it, make the pizza on it and then with a few shakes to set the far edge of the pizza on the pizza pan then a quick shake/jerk get the pizza on the cooking device that is heated and in the oven.

What we like best is a cast iron pizza pan.  We have a Le Creuset one--don't know if they make them any more.

Esteemed Contributor

Is that what they are called? I bought one for a dollar at a thrift store. Looks like it was never or seldom used. Hangs in my kitchen as decor. May use it on Christmas Eve if I do a charcuterie board.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

Pros & cons, please

I make my own dough, I make my own pizza.

I have just a regular kitchen oven and a pizza stone.

My good pizza pan got ruined over Thanksgiving, want to try a peel

A pizza peel is for tranfering pizza into the oven, to a pizza stone or pizza oven. The best kind to get are thin steel ones with a longer handle but not real long for home use. Whoever said to put cornmeal on it first before your dough is right on the money in my book

Honored Contributor

I bought a used one at a restaurant liquidation sale for $3.  It has a stainless steel platform with a wooden handle.  I had to alter the length of the handle from about 4' to 1' to fit in my kitchen for storage.  The name "American Metalcraft" is stamped on the bottom of the platform.  It is easy to clean and has held up well.  

Respected Contributor

Hi. I'm a pizza maker too, & what works best for me is a lightweight, unrimmed cookie sheet.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@software We have used one for a long time.  We put cornmeal on it, make the pizza on it and then with a few shakes to set the far edge of the pizza on the pizza pan then a quick shake/jerk get the pizza on the cooking device that is heated and in the oven.

What we like best is a cast iron pizza pan.  We have a Le Creuset one--don't know if they make them any more.

I bought a huge one from Amazon, the handle closes up, so is easy to store. I also dust it with cornmeal to shake the pizza off.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Hi. I'm a pizza maker too, & what works best for me is a lightweight, unrimmed cookie sheet.

Until I decide how creative I want to be, we will most likely go with this.

It's multipurpose.   We used the pizza pan (the one that got ruined) for all kinds of baking and even broiling.   

I looked at cast iron, I'm sure it's heavier than I want to use.

The best pizza peels seem to be aluminum or some kind of metal, rather than wood.   I like the ones that look like a mini shovel!    LOL    I'm not concerned with the length of the handle, I plan to hang it on my vertical pot rack.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

@sabatini wrote:

Until I decide how creative I want to be, we will most likely go with this.

It's multipurpose.   We used the pizza pan (the one that got ruined) for all kinds of baking and even broiling.   

I looked at cast iron, I'm sure it's heavier than I want to use.

The best pizza peels seem to be aluminum or some kind of metal, rather than wood.   I like the ones that look like a mini shovel!    LOL    I'm not concerned with the length of the handle, I plan to hang it on my vertical pot rack.

@software The cast iron is the pizza pan not the peel.  We like the way the crust rises on the edges in the flat HOT cast iron pizza pan (it is really a griddle more than a pan).