Respected Contributor

Anyone use Cast Iron grill pans, and get soooo much smoke??

I have a LODGE Cast Iron 10 in. grill pan. It's pre-seasoned. The problem...WAAAY toooo much smoke all through the house. Stinks all day, and really thick white smoke all over. I use an exhaust fan too, and have to turn on the 2 from the bathrooms!. I also have a cast iron fry pan, and never get smoke. Is this typical of a grill pan?? I tried using a small amount of olive oil, and another time, just some cooking spray, thinking maybe that would help. I made burgers on the grill pan a couple of times, and salmon. Honestly, I don't think I can use this pan if I don't come up with a solution.

Also, this particular grill pan was tested on Test Kitchen, and voted best next to the highest priced pan. No mention of smoke (ha).

If any of you use a grill pan, please let me know what you think.

I wrote into the manufacturer, and waiting on an answer. THANKS!!

Super Contributor

Re: Anyone use Cast Iron grill pans, and get soooo much smoke??

Flip it over, maybe there's something stuck on the bottom that's causing the pan to smoke?

Super Contributor

I use one to grill my steaks all the time. Yes! REALLY smokey! I brought my induction burner out to the patio now to grill my meat. The apartment would smell like smoke for days when I did it inside.

Honored Contributor

I've never had that problem with my grill pan. Sounds like you over heating it. Have you thoroughly cleaned it between uses so there is no stuck on bits that can burn and smoke?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Yes, I clean it until all bits are off, inside, and nothing stuck outside. Maybe it is getting too hot. I have a smooth top electric stove...maybe I should keep temp low?? Although Radimage says yes, it's really smokey. Appreciate the help here!!!

Regular Contributor

This subject really caught my eye because I've been thinking of getting one. I read in a cooking magazine about what the professional cooks like to cook with when they're cooking at home for their family. Not sure if it was Michael Syman or not.....but one of them said he uses his outdoor grill during the warm weather and a cast iron pan inside his house when it's cold outside. Said the heavy iron pan gave the steaks and burgers a great taste. He never mentioned smoking like you are talking about, but he did say you have to get the pan smoking hot.

I have a built-in alarm system and if it gets too smoky in here, the alarm shrieks off and startles all the neighbors. If you don't call the 800 # of the alarm people quick enough, the fire department shows up automatically and it's a big OMG !!! You now have me thinking twice about whether of not I really want one. I too am wondering if you got your pan much too hot.

Super Contributor

On 1/18/2015 jaxs mom said:

I've never had that problem with my grill pan. Sounds like you over heating it. Have you thoroughly cleaned it between uses so there is no stuck on bits that can burn and smoke?

I do use the 'sear' setting, so I'm sure that is why it smokes. Since I use it outside...now, it makes no difference to me.

Super Contributor

I got distracted watching the game (Yay Seahawks!) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Jaxs Mom nailed it. Your stove user manual might have heat recommendations for different cookware types, mine does.

Trusted Contributor

If you use high heat (which you need to do in order to get decent grill marks), it will smoke. You have fat and liquid dripping from the raised meat onto screaming hot metal; it will smoke. I have multiple grill pans, and an electric reversible grill./griddle, and they all smoke.

Your two options are to either use lower heat which will not give the best results or, as another poster indicated, try using it outside. I do the latter.

Respected Contributor

Ok Thanks!! Yeah I see when chefs use these grill pans they get it real hot. I agree it does make a nice sear on the meat, or fish. Crispy too. Perhaps I'll wait till I can keep the doors open. I live in Florida, so we only get a couple months where we can go without the air. Then we have a few weeks of heat on, so no point trying then either. Oh well, I'm a little frustrated with this pan because I was looking foward to that charred flavor. Guess I'll go out to my good ole bar b q, It's right off the lanai, so no big deal.

Funny thing...I bought one of these grill pans for my daughters boyfriend. He lives in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment,,,holy smokes!!!{#emotions_dlg.lol}