Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone here that still cans at home?

I got it!! Our cucumbers did nothing.  I had to buy from a farm market so I couild make a few pickles.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio   My Mother made preserves and pickles.  I remember one year saying that she canned everything in sight, lol. I made preserves and chutneys, pepper jelly, and mincemeat.  I plan to can apricots when I get anough from my tree, but wouldn't do the rest, I only grow and freeze now, much easier.

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@hellokitty  Here's a link to the blog post with the recipe.  If it doesn't work let me know.  These are really good on burgers.  A quick appetizer is a cracker, soft cream cheese and a pepper.  Yum!

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/candied-jalapenos/

@Knit-Chick   Do you thuink these could be frozen instead of canned?

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

my inlaws still do but not as much as years ago but shes 75 years old and last year made tomato sauce, artichokes, grape jelly, long thin string beans she pickles them. but thats about it. they have a good size garden and years ago they new people with alot of land so they let them use a good size area so they harvested tons of stuff. last year we had a ghofer steal so much stuff.

@Pooky1   Grow in pots orraised beds with wire on the bottom. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

I am the same as PamSue 72.  I make sure everything is exact when I can.  My favorite sound is that "ping", too. I don't like do overs.  

My hubby bought me the Ball Jam and Jelly maker and the electric water bath canner and they are awesome.  I also have a dehydrator and I am just learning how to use it. I own a Roma tomato strainer and the Ball sauce maker.  I love to can.  I consider it "the most wonderful time of the year".

@hellokitty   I grow Roma tomatoes for pasta sauce, among other varieities, and put them whole into a freezer bag.  When I need them for sauce, I pull out a bag and insert the tomatoes into very hot water.  In a minute or less, the skins peel right off.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  I used to can some things, mainly jams, jellies, pickles and peaches. Now I don't make jam, and I freeze everything else - corn, tomatoes, blueberries, ground cherries, applesauce. My mom froze most of her produce as well.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl  hi there Smiley Happy  I'm not sure about freezing.  The liquid reminds me of pickle juice.  I would think you could freeze it.  Or it might just keep for a while in the fridge also.  They are pretty darn good, hope you try them!