Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone here that still cans at home?

Classes are good if you can find one in your area but I learned using the Ball Blue Book.  I have a lot of canning books that have pictures and step by step instructions to go with them. There are also simple recipes to use what you've learned. I certainly do understand  being nervous.  Jams and jellies are the easiest things to can.

I don't know where you live (I am in a rural area) but sometimes the county Extension office has classes.

Valued Contributor

@PamelaSue72   Would you consider sharing your pickle relish recipe? We make some bomb bread and butter pickers but would like to try relish.I have 2 doctors who wouldn't speak if they didn't get thier pickles. One is retired so we mail his. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fluffysmom  Sure! Here you go!

Sweet Zucchini Relish

• 12 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
  • 4 cups chopped onion
  • 5 tablespoons canning salt
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 6 cups white sugar

• 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Place the zucchini and onion in a large, non-metallic bowl, and sprinkle the salt overtop. Use your hands to evenly mix the salt throughout the zucchini. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
  2. The following day, drain the zucchini in a colander, and rinse well with cool water. Squeeze out excess water and set aside. Place the red and green bell pepper, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch into a large pot. Add the nutmeg, turmeric, celery seed and pepper. Stir to combine, then add the drained zucchini. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, sterilize 7 one-pint jars and lids to hold relish. Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.
  4. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.
  5. Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all).

My Note: I think 6 cups of sugar is way too much. It's simply too sweet. The last couple times I made it, I cut the sugar almost in half. Taste as you go and see what you think. It's a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!

I started making this because store-bought pickle relish has gotten very watery, IMO. We haven't purchased pickle relish in several years now. This is better!

This recipe was originally from Allrecipes-dot-com. It is supposed to make 7 pints, but I tend to get only 5. I've made as many as 30 pints of relish; I do it in single batches, though, and do not double, triple, etc. the recipe because my canner holds only so many jars at one time.

If you've any questions, please ask. I'll try to help you.

Valued Contributor

@PamelaSue72  Thanks for taking the time to post all of that.I will definetly try it.

Spoiler

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio   FYI  my kids got me the coolest machine. We do a lot of tomato sauce. It's very time consuming to skin and seed whole tomatos.We put big chunks of tomatoes in the chute' the device is electric. It diverts the juice one way and the seeds and skins come out in a dry ball.We did 100 lbs quickly.It can be used for other vegtables also.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio  hello from northeast Ohio!  I do a bit of canning, mostly jams.  I have a Ball cookbook that gives very good instructions and also found a lot of info just searching online.    I'd like to do more, but it's time consuming!  Last year I canned "cowboy candy" which is sweet/spicy jalepeno slices.  They are so good on sandwiches and on crackers and cream cheese.  We just finished our last jar and my hubby said we definitely need to make them again this summer!

Valued Contributor

@Knit-Chick   Greetings from West Central Ohio.  Your mention of Cowboy Candy sounds interesting.  Can you share the recipe or tell where you found it? I wasn't going to to anything with jalepeno plants this year but I could change my mind.

Trusted Contributor

@hellokitty  absolutely!  I have it at home and will come back and post it tonight.  I ended up buying a basket of jalepenos last year because our plants didn't do too well. 

Respected Contributor

I don’t think I am qualified yet to can applesauce but I think I will tackle more fruit jams. That way I can pick ingredients.
Trusted Contributor

@hellokitty  Here's a link to the blog post with the recipe.  If it doesn't work let me know.  These are really good on burgers.  A quick appetizer is a cracker, soft cream cheese and a pepper.  Yum!

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/candied-jalapenos/