Trusted Contributor

Anyone have an immersion blender?

I have a delicious recipe for Butter Chicken in the InstantPot that calls for use of an immersion blender (handheld stick blender) when making the sauce. I've never used one of these, and am shopping around. Any of you have/use one of these?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have an immersion blender?

@LonestarBabs I bought one to use for taking lumps out of sauces, gravies, etc.  It works great for that, as well as for making milkshakes and many other things.

Trusted Contributor

@TexasmouseWhat brand do you have? I'm seeing several, and a few brands are designed so that you have to hold down buttons/switches at the same time which seems rather unwieldy instead of convenient.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I don't know why they do this and I can only assume it's for safety reasons.  I have a Cuisinart and unfortunately, it does have that system.  It takes a bit of getting used to.

Honored Contributor

I have a Cuisinart and use it from time to time in this way. 

If you don't want to purchase one, I wonder if you could pour the liquids into your blender and puree them all that way?  If you have a blender, that is.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  The idea is to avoid transferring the hot liquids from InstantPot into a blender and then back again. The recipe's author tries to keep things pretty simple with minimal use of pans/dishes/bowls, etc. I do have a blender.

Respected Contributor

I have one and it works great however just a little warning for you. You need to make sure it is down in a deep enough pot or bowl otherwise you get a lot of messy splatter.

Honored Contributor

I love mine.I stick it in the soup pot to thicken.use it to pure my homemade applesauce,homemade salad dressing ,whip up smoothies,mash up cottage cheese to make sour cream and on and on.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabswrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  The idea is to avoid transferring the hot liquids from InstantPot into a blender and then back again. The recipe's author tries to keep things pretty simple with minimal use of pans/dishes/bowls, etc. I do have a blender.

@LonestarBabs- I understand that, was just trying to come up with an alternative if you didn't want to make the purchase.  

Super Contributor

I bought mine on QVC years ago.  It is a KitchenAid one in a case.  I don't use it all the time, but when I need one, it is a dream.  As previously mentioned by Kitlynn, keep it near the bottom of the pot or your food will be everywhere!  I love using it to thicken and cream soups.  It is so much easier than putting things into the blender.