Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have an electric kettle?

@LonestarBabs 

@DottieBlue 

I have a stainless steel electric kettle with a keep warm area.   The keep warm has stopped working but the kettle is excellent.

have had it for more than 10 years.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

I bought one for my husband and I and we use it most every day.

I bought one for my parents and they love it. It is nice and easy for my mother to use.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Dragonflyveb get one with a "free" pot, as opposed to one you have to unplug or disconnect when you need to pour

I wore out one years ago, never replaced it.

I need one too, mostly for cooking.   I keep a pitcher on the counter when room temperature water is required but I often need to boil water and  my very old stove takes forever.

@LonestarBabs wrote:

I am thinking about purchasing a stainless steel electric kettle (BPA-free) for fast hot water to use in cooking, beverages, etc. I was watching Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals the other day and he repeatedly uses an electric kettle in his preparations. I've not been able to identiy the brand in his kitchen, however, and a Googe search reveals many brands, types, and prices. So, anyone have an electric kettle -- what do you recommend based on your experience?

Honored Contributor

Make sure the one you buy has an automatic shut-off when the water level is low

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Yes we have one and it gets used several times a day each and every day--great little machine.

Respected Contributor

I use a heavy glass measuring cup filled with the number of ounces of water that I want. It heats up to any temperature you want including boiling. Easy to measure whatever amount you want and easy to refill as needed. I use as few appliances as possible on countertops.

Honored Contributor

I had a glass one that I loved, but it died after only a few months.

I bought this one to replace it and it's a workhorse. Once heated, the water stays hot enough for tea for at least an hour. Some of the reviews said that it's noisy, and it is, but only for the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to boil.

My only caution is that, when full, it's quite heavy. If you have dexterity issues, it may not be right for you.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 8.34.55 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@LonestarBabs I use my keirig and just don't use a coffee pod.

Respected Contributor

I purchased a Dash brand one from HSN a couple of years ago when I had planned to make french pressed coffee-- which proved WAY too involved for daily coffee. I do use the electric kettle a lot and it earns it's rent for my counter top. I think it is ss inside and has a 'peep' place to see water. I like it because it shuts off automatically. I burned up some lovely stove top ones due to forgetting them . Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

Decision made. Thanks everyone for your input!