Trusted Contributor

Anyone have an electric kettle?

I am thinking about purchasing a stainless steel electric kettle (BPA-free) for fast hot water to use in cooking, beverages, etc. I was watching Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals the other day and he repeatedly uses an electric kettle in his preparations. I've not been able to identiy the brand in his kitchen, however, and a Googe search reveals many brands, types, and prices. So, anyone have an electric kettle -- what do you recommend based on your experience?

Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone have an electric kettle?

I have a Hamilton Beach stainless steel kettle. Got it at Costco for $20 several years ago. It is definitely worth the counter space. Heats water fast. I like that the kettle lifts off the heater base. The plastic ones have the heater coil underneath the water reservoir, so if you move the kettle, you're taking the electric cord as well.

hope this helps

dragonfly

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs  Yes I do have one. Mine isn't stainless. I just wanted one to boil water quickly for tea. I'll look and see and let you know.

Valued Contributor

I have the Farberware 1.7 liter cordless.  It is used multiple times per day.  Hot water for cooking, tea, oatmeal and netipot.  

Honored Contributor

i have two......

i have a SMEG that i got from qvc. i dont think they are selling them on qvc anymore though.

the other one i have is a DASH mirrored electric kettle. they do make a few different styles.

both are great, easy to use, easy to keep clean.

the SMEG is more expensive than the DASH, but they both were equally well.

have had the dash for about two years and the smeg for about a year.

i have mine sitting out on my counter.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs I have had 3:  A $14 plastic Krups I bought in the 1990's; an expensive Cuisinart that boils to specific temps that I use now for tea mostly; and a free stainless steel one I got with tea.

All do a great job of boiling water.  It depends if you want plastic or stainless and the features you want. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner   I want BPA-free of course, stainless interior/exterior,  steel lid lining, auto shut-off, and would love a keep warm feature.  Not too picky about temperature control features -- not a dealbreaker.

Trusted Contributor

I have it narrowed down now to 2 models: Mollo Contento and Secura double-walled stainless. I'm leaning toward the Secura -- it has a stainless steel lid interior and rim. Neither has a keep warm feature but that is  "nice to have" vs "must have." Still researching!

Super Contributor

I did have a stainless steel kettle which was difficult to keep clear of mineral deposits.  I switched to glass and it has proven much easier.

Trusted Contributor

I also did alot of research before I purchased an electric kettle.  I bought a stainless steel Russell Hobbs brand on sale from Macy's about 7 years ago.  It was very highly rated at the time I bought it.  It works very well.  The water boils up very quickly.

The advice I got was not to get plastic, and not to get one with a "window" as after a while they can leak, and not to get a glass one as they can crack or break.  

I wish it had a "keep hot" feature like coffee makers do.  If I ever find a SS kettle with this feature, I will replace the one I have.