Respected Contributor

Anyone have a good recipe for LEMON CHICKEN/FRANCAISE cutlets?

Yesterday I made a recipe for Lemon Chicken/Francaise (cutlets), and though it was fairly tasty, it wasn't worthy of keeping the recipe. The sauce was thin and even though I thickened it a bit, it wasn't right. My family likes lemon chicken but with the sauce that sort of glazes the chicken. Anyone have a good recipe for Lemon Chicken?

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have a good recipe for LEMON CHICKEN/FRANCAISE cutlets?

I am french and never even heard of those..I like to google recipes.

Regular Contributor

I think Chicken Francaise or really an alternate version of Chicken Francese which is really Italian and often served in Italian restaurants. Did your recipe have an egg wash before sautéing/frying? You might look for a recipe with a wash. It usually has no breading. The coating gets a little puffy that way. Then the prepared cutlets are glazed in a lemon sauce and garnished with fresh chopped parsley. Haddock or cod is excellent this way too.
Regular Contributor

ciaobella: If you Google Chicken Francaise/francese you will literally get about 13 million hits. Some use white wine, some don't. Some use mushrooms, some don't. Some refer to a "mysterious ingredient" used in restaurant versions, and there are numerous guesses as to what this ingredient is: Tarragon, sweet paprika, etc.

Normally I'd try to pass along a classic version, but there doesn't seem to be one. I think I'd look up some online and then go with whatever pleases.

Respected Contributor

Yes, mamajell...it has an egg wash after first dipping in flour, then sauteed until slightly puffy. A lemon sauce made from the drippings in the pan along with lemon, chicken broth and white wine, if you like.

Thanks Boby...The recipe I tried I had Googled but wasn't thrilled with the outcome. I'll keep looking.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

On 1/21/2014 ciao_bella said:

Yes, mamajell...it has an egg wash after first dipping in flour, then sauteed until slightly puffy. A lemon sauce made from the drippings in the pan along with lemon, chicken broth and white wine, if you like.

Thanks Boby...The recipe I tried I had Googled but wasn't thrilled with the outcome. I'll keep looking.

Sounds like you have the "right" recipe. I use those ingredients and it's so easy I never measure. Did you add enough salt and pepper? A little salt will turn e sauce from blah to fab. I usually make the sauce and reduce to desired consistency. It should barely coat the spoon and I always add a pat of butter for richness and flavor then return the cutlets to the pan. I also pound the cutlets really thin and flat as that's how my family likes them.
Contributor

Dredge the pat of butter in flour before adding it to the liquid/sauce after cooking the cutlets. It will add thickness. Enjoy
Trusted Contributor

I use sherry,( not cooking sherry!) instead of white wine. It gives the sauce a delicious flavor.

Super Contributor

I just ran across this demo and recipe from Rachael Ray. I hope it's useful to you:

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/12833_Chicken_Francese/index.html

Honored Contributor

This is a big favorite at our house

Cheesy Chicken with Lemon Sauce

Ingredients

Cheesy Chicken

Cooking spray
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2" strips
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Lemon Sauce

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
Juice of half a lemon
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped

Instructions

Cheesy Chicken
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then coat with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken and olive oil, then toss to coat evenly.
3. In a plastic bag, mix together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, flour, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Working with several pieces at a times, place chicken in bag and shake to coat. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then continue baking until the chicken is golden brown and cooked throughout, about 12-15 minutes. Drizzle with lemon sauce and serve immediately.

Lemon Sauce
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, being sure not to let it brown.
2. Sprinkle flour, then cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown in color.
3. Add chicken broth and lemon juice, lower heat and whisk constantly until thickened 2-3 minutes. Stir in butter and parsley and serve.