Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a foodsaver bag melt in the microwave?

No.....but I had a hot dog explode and shoot out the door

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

On 1/14/2014 dgluvr said:

As for using the bags in the microwave-- they even say when they demonstrate that you can use them and I have many times- and I do vent them--- this was the first time I ever had them burn-- smelled terrible as well- perhaps I used it one too many times and it broke down. They are easy to rinse out -I mostly use them for warming/ thawing bread products. If I defrost meat - I throw them out. They're too expensive to just toss after one use. Why would you even bother getting a foodsaver if you're going to do that?

You buy the foodsaver to save money on food but throw out expensive bags after one use?

I typically don't reuse my bags. I've had a food saver since the 80s. My primary reason for using is freshness. I use it when I want to freeze meat/chicken, which I typically don't like doing due to freezer burn. With the foodsaver, this doesn't happen. I also use it if we open something like bacon, and only use part of it.

Respected Contributor

As for using the bags in the microwave-- they even say when they demonstrate that you can use them and I have many times- and I do vent them--- this was the first time I ever had them burn-- smelled terrible as well- perhaps I used it one too many times and it broke down. They are easy to rinse out -I mostly use them for warming/ thawing bread products. If I defrost meat - I throw them out. They're too expensive to just toss after one use. Why would you even bother getting a foodsaver if you're going to do that?

You buy the foodsaver to save money on food but throw out expensive bags after one use?

They're definitely made for microwave use, I just don't. I like them as simmer bags.

I use jars for dry goods, bags for things I freeze.

I don't think it's cost effective to wash and rinse them, they take forever to dry.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

On 1/14/2014 debc said:

They're definitely made for microwave use, I just don't. I like them as simmer bags.

I use jars for dry goods, bags for things I freeze.

I don't think it's cost effective to wash and rinse them, they take forever to dry.

I just hang mine witha clip on the corner of the bag upside down on my plant hanger by my window-they dry in hours. They even say you can put them in the dishwasher but I don't know how well that would work --I would think that the water might pop them up and they'd be flying around and get caught on the washer blades.

And I had the older version of foodsaver and then got a vertical model ( although Ihave no idea why they call it a vertical model - since you don't tip it on it's side and they never demonstate that -- not even for a storage position so I don't get the "name"

New Contributor

Below is a cut-and-paste of the post. I tried to respond directly within that post, but it said the time to comment was closed. I clicked on the ID that asked the question: "dgluvr" and got you. Did they recycle that ID? Did you post the below question regarding the "Henry Grieb" back in 2010? If so, we'd like to purchase it as a gift for our father. Please let us know either way. Thanks again.

<h1> Henry Grieb?</h1>
Started 09/14/2010 at 6:21 PM in Viewpoints | Last reply 09/15/2010 at 1:52 AM by dgluvr
replies

I have a framed Henry Grieb Fox ( he was famous for taxidermy with his painted dioramas) Does anyone know where I might find someone to tell me how much it is worth? I will not sell on e-ba y ( for one thing - it's big- a real red fox )and fragile and heavy. Someone gave it to my Dad who's passed and I recently saw online that some pheasants were auctioned a while back for some decent change..I would like to have it appraised but don't know who might do that kind of stuff and then I'd like to sell. Does anyone know how or where to find out what to do?