Respected Contributor

Anyone fix a Kitchenaid Mixer?

All of a sudden, it sounds like a gear is grinding in the head of my Kitchenaid mixer.

Has anyone had their's fixed?  Anyone take it apart and fix it yourself?

It still works (not sure for how long) but sounds awfully loud.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone fix a Kitchenaid Mixer?

Call Kitchen Aide and describe your problem; they can give you a probable diagnosis and a price (btw shipping is expensive).  After doing this I decided to trash my machine and buy a new one.  They don't make them like they used to but they aren't too bad to replace.  If you are somewhere with a Kitchen Collection store they sell refurbished KAs that are used by all those tv chefs on all those shows (ever noticed how their machines always look brand new?).

Respected Contributor

My DH opened up my old tilt head model and put in new grease where needed some time ago, @Just Bling , but he's spent decades, from his job working at Sears when he was in college, learning to fix just about anything.  If you are mechanically gifted yourself, or have someone in your family who is, then odds are you can fix your mixer.  Calling KitchenAide, like @patbz suggests, is probably a good idea.  You can also find lots of information and even replacement parts, on the KA website.  Another option is to look in your local business directory to see if there are "fix-it" shops with good ratings who work on kitchen appliances, that might be cheaper than shipping the mixer back to KA for repair.  Or you can donate your current model to a charity who is willing to take it, because they have volunteers who can fix it, and buy yourself a brand new one.  It depends on how often and how hard you use your mixer, if you can afford to wait until the holiday season odds are the Q and probably many other stores will have them on sale.  If you are a CostCo member, they offer a limited selection of KA mixers for a pretty good price, too.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Just Bling. Stop using it for now.

Google 'Kitchenaid stand mixer repair near me' and see what comes up.

I did that when my mixer died, and found a place nearby which made the repairs. It's been working great ever since!

Good luck.

Muddling through...