Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have their Pyrex explode?

About 5 years ago I did. Scared the doo doo out of me. It was a 13 x 9 dish, with a chicken roating. The dish popped into 3 pieces. Just so awful! What a mess, the grease, the waste. OMG, the cleaning!!! It was really traumatic!I had to throw out a whole chicken. I am not that skittish with food, but the broken glass was a no brainer on saving the chicken.

I have used Pyrex since, and have a few older pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

I have Pyrex, Anchor Hocking, and Corning Ware pieces that are pretty old, with the oldest probably about 40 years. I've never had the first problem with any of them. However, out of the first five pieces of Temp-tations I bought, one crazed while sitting in the cabinet never used, two crazed after making sweet potato casserole in them once, and one crazed after using it only for mac & cheese about 5 times. Some of the cracks can actually be felt with my fingernail, so I've never used them in the oven again. The largest one is still in the cabinet, never used.

I don't want any of the newer pieces of any of it, after all I've heard about people experiencing more problems with the pieces that are manufactured now.

Honored Contributor

I had a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup explode in the microwave while melting chocolate. Big mess!!

Honored Contributor

I am a retired Secondary science educator and have run quite a few labs. When some liquid substances are heated and move upwards along the sides of smooth borosilicate glass containers, they can occasionally be propelled outward at high speed, seeming to explode. There are some discussions about this phenomenon online, dealing with borosilicate cookware, such as Pyrex. It should also be noted that fats and sugar reach very high temperatures in the microwave. Newer Pyrex is made of substances I know nothing about. Small defects in the glass can cause breakage. Pyrex is not designed for use under the oven broiler or directly on stovetop burners. I personally have never had cookware or lab ware break, but I worked in a store in college and we had quite a few returns of Pyrex and Anchor Hocking pieces with defects, or gave refunds to customers with mishaps.

Respected Contributor

My sister had one that she used for thirty years and she went to take it out of the oven and it exploded and she got several pretty good cuts on her arms and legs.

Respected Contributor

Never Pyrex, but I had a small Corelle salad plate shatter in the microwave once while I was heating something on it. Neither the plate nor the food was frozen, so I don't know if the plate may have had a small crack that I never noticed or what. I heard a pop & glanced over at the microwave & then, another pop, so I opened the door of the microwave to shut it off quickly & the plate was in several pieces & shards. This was about 12 years ago & it hasn't happened again & I'm still using that set of Corelle, which is now about 25 years old. It's been the only Corelle I've ever broken.

Super Contributor

I read somewhere a few months ago that the newer Pyrex is made differently from the older Pyrex and that it is the newer stuff that seems to be exploding.

Since all of my Pyrex was handed down from my mother and is over 50 years old, I'm not worried.

Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2015 bonnielu said:

I have had one for over 40 years that I would love to explode. I have difficulty cleaning it. Baked on stuff all the time. I spend a better part of an hour trying to make it perfect. Not working for me.

I give you permission to throw it away.

Honored Contributor

I had a Pyrex coffee pot explode, and also at least one white corning saucer. I blamed myself each time. The coffee pot was on a flat electric burner, and the saucer had been in the oven and was then placed on a cold surface. Two very major "no-no's".
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/29/2015 jaxs mom said:
On 3/29/2015 bonnielu said:

I have had one for over 40 years that I would love to explode. I have difficulty cleaning it. Baked on stuff all the time. I spend a better part of an hour trying to make it perfect. Not working for me.

Bar Keepers Friend works pretty good in them.

Thanks. I will get some to try it out. Getting really tired of trying to make it almost perfect. I think I spend more time cleaning it than cooking in it.