Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else tempted by the Spurtle set TSV tomorrow?

I had the wood spurtles in that tiger wood design.  They looked beautiful, but each piece developed splintered wood after a while, so I threw them in the garbage.  I just purchased this TSV silicone set because I love the versatility in using them, and most importantly no more splintered wood!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

I am setting up a new kitchen and just bought a stainless steel cookware set so it's somewhat appealing since I know I need non-scratch utensils but I have no idea what I would use all of them for.  Even after watching their video. 

For those of you that have the silicone spurtles, are they really useful to you in the kitchen to prep and cook or just an occasional grab here and there? 

Most of what they showed, I'm good with and would actually prefer a knife but for cooking I'm thinking maybe I would use a couple of them.  Of course, I've been good all my life with a regular spatula.

What say all of you?  Have you replaced any of your kitchen utensils with these?    

Not replaced, but added to.

Have both silicone and wood sets. 

They work great with my Le Creuset cookware.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I've looked at similar sets at a few B&M stores, but I wasn't sure about all the uses for the different pieces. After watching the video here, I decided that I absolutely can use these, and get rid of a lot of the mish-mash of pieces I now have. Even with the shipping charges, the cost per piece is a little over $4.55, and I don't think that's an outrageous price at all.

Trusted Contributor

I am spurtled out.  I think it was presented more than usual for a TSV.  Hubby was flipping through the channels this eve and he said...My gawd,  that lady had been stirring oatmeal and separating eggs all day long with those wand things.   LOL

Honored Contributor

@poppinfresh Have not thought about the Galloping Gourmet and his wife, Trina (right?), in a long time. I used to watch him all the time, not for food ideas, but I just liked to watch him dash here, there, and everywhere, finally ending up at a table for two with wine in his hand! ha!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've already had just about the same types of silicone kitchen tools  for several years.  All are solid silicone...no wood handles .  They are somewhat flexible but stiff enough to get some tasks done that require a sturdy tool.

Bought them one or two at a time at BedBathBeyond........$5.99 each or two pieces for $10, plus another 20 percent off with the usual store coupon........in bright colors of turquoise, fuschia, red, orange, blue, green, etc.

They usually are displayed on their own kiosk in round tubs and have been sold for several years.  

My favorites are the long-handled silicone basting brushes and the large mixing spoons and spatulas  in various styles, including a slotted spoon, and a super-long narrow tool with curved tip  that could reach deep into a huge tub of mayo or even a gallon can of paint.

Our local grocery stores (Publix and Kroger) both  sell  sets of six silicone tools  in a smaller size for $6.99.  I like the small sizes for getting into small food containers and for small jobs, so I have those, too.  

Costco had a set of similar multi-colored tools recently, too.

Don't find much use for one or two of the shapes featured  in that set at QVC yesterday.  Searching at BedBathBeyond or the local grocery store might produce more useful tools, and you could choose the shapes that work best for your needs..............MY OPINION ONLY.

Honored Contributor

nope!