Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else tempted by the Spurtle set TSV tomorrow?

Just a heads up about wooden spurtles.  I do rub them with butcher block oil every few months.  Have had mine for quite few years and they are still like new.

Wood gets brittle and needs to be oiled with the right oil.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks guys!  I guess I will watch the presentation tomorrow and see how it works in real time.  I've seen the wooden ones before but I don't think I've ever seen a demo of the silicone.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Thanks guys!  I guess I will watch the presentation tomorrow and see how it works in real time.  I've seen the wooden ones before but I don't think I've ever seen a demo of the silicone.

I bought a set and to be truthful have never used them much.  There are FAR better implements out there.  Like some said, they are stiff and clunky to me.  Lots of great spatulas that do a better job.

Check out America's Test Kitchen reviews on their website on tools.  You may need to sign up for a free trial but you can cancel it and their tests are good!  I haven't been disappointed on the ones they recommend.

Valued Contributor

I have been using silicone tipped tongs and Pampered Chef spatulas for most of all my cooking for years. Can't see why I would need the spurtle set.  I have one spatula that is ancient and still going strong.

Respected Contributor

I'm interested. There are things I never seem to have enough of and this would give me plenty. I like the idea of a spurtle, but I don't own any because I'm not a fan of wood kitchen tools. I prefer silicone to wood because I know it will be dishwasher safe for many years. 

Respected Contributor

I recently bought a four piece set from the Q in silicone, and I use them more than I expected I would.  I'll only order the TSV set if there are pieces I don't already have and if they offer a color that matches my current set.  I like the fact that they are firm enough to stir even heavy dishes and the full-sized ones are long enough to leave in a hot pot without worrying about them melting, like plastic-handled silicone spatulas can.  Also, they are dishwasher safe, which I prefer. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What was the item number?  I did not see the set for tomorrow...

Respected Contributor

For the life of me I can't figure out why they would be better than the silicone spatulas I have already, in all sizes. I believe the folks who love them but for me they are just meh.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already have her other set they sold at Sam's plus I have a couple different wood sets. We use them all the time. I don't need the TSV since I already have most of those.

I would like her new wooden measuring tools below. Wondering what the price will be & what time they will be on Q tomorrow. They will be sold out before I find out. LOL!!!

Mad Hungry Wood Set.PNG

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

What was the item number?  I did not see the set for tomorrow...

@KatieB

K47555.

Mad Hungry Spurtle.PNG