Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone else not like cooking in a crockpot?

On 11/17/2014 happy housewife said:

One of the things my DH absolutely loves is the smell of food cooking - i think it is wonderful to come in the house and the aroma of various herbs and ingredients hits you. However, one of my neighbors told me she hates that when I have the windows open she can smell food cooking odors from our house and why don't we just eat out like everyone else!!!! Whatever.

wow...I would have fun with her!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I don't like cooking in any pots!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/17/2014 occasional rain said:

Crockpot food is the first cousin of Hamberhelper.

My crockpot if always full of good meat and veggies, not processed food!! No comparison at all!

Trusted Contributor

On 11/18/2014 colliegirls said:

My crockpot if always full of good meat and veggies, not processed food!! No comparison at all!

I really don't understand that comment myself. I use fresh foods always, not processed packages. We don't touch boxes like Hamburger Helper or anything like that. Just because some people don't like it, I guess nobody is supposed to.

Regular Contributor

I am very mixed on this subject. I think that some of the comments on crock pot food on this thread are very ignorant.

I have often wondered if I need a new crock pot because I don't get the best results with chicken. I have stopped making chicken because it comes out almost mushy and a little "canned chicken" like if that makes any sense. No matter what recipe I have tried, and even using boneless thighs. I just doesn't come out very good. We eat a lot of chicken so that is where I am hesitant on loving crock pot cooking because it limits me. What I do love in the crock pot is pot roast...specifically the Balsamic Pot Roast that Lynneuk shared with us that I know has become a big hit on this board. My other go to dish for the crock pot is a sausage and peppers that is out of this world. It does take a good bit of prep...browning the sausage, mixing the sauce in a pan on the stove for a few minutes, and so it isn't as much of a time saver as it is a great dish to come home to when you want to eat right away or for parties when people can serve themselves and the food stays hot. And the sausage is so tender and flavorful it is to die for! I also like to make chili on the stove and then put it in the crock pot for a few hours. Again, the prep is not really cut down, but the beans soften up good and it is nice to be able to just eat when you are ready with all of the prep done earlier and only the crock pot to clean. I have always been afraid to try anything with pasta.

Regular Contributor

On 11/17/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I haven't had a chance to read through the responses, so I may be repeating what some have said.

I've tried numerous times to like slow-cooker cooking. I think I've bought and given away at least three of them.

The only advantage to slow-cookers is the idea that you can just dump everything in and turn it on. But my husband and I find the results to be unappealing. The flavors are not bright, fresh, or distinguishable but seem to be muddy, for lack of a better word. Even browning something, which does somewhat negate the convenience, still doesn't help much.

If we want convenience, we use our stove-top pressure cookers. We've always had wonderful results with that method.

I use the crock pot in a different way than just "dumping it in and turning it on". I really have never found a recipe that worked for me by doing it that way. I know many people do, but for me it isn't successful. I do wish though!!!!

When I make sausage and peppers I brown that sausage on the stove. Once it is done I layer peppers and onions, then the sausage, then the rest of the peppers and onions and some garlic. In the same pan I cooked that sausage in, I cook some tomato paste, diced tomatoes, red wine and some Italian spices a few minutes until it is a bubbly sauce. Then I pour the sauce over the sausage, pepper and onions in the crock pot. Cook for 7 hours and it is delicious. From someone that has made sausage and peppers a million times in her life, trust me when I say it comes out better than if it is made on the stove top or in the oven. Same with y chili. I cook it on the stove for it all to come together. It isn't like I just dump everything into a crock pot and expect a delicious chili to come out. The beans get so tender and the flavors really come out by cooking for 6-8 hours. It really isn't ONLY about convenience with the crock pot.

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

I really don't understand that comment myself. I use fresh foods always, not processed packages. We don't touch boxes like Hamburger Helper or anything like that. Just because some people don't like it, I guess nobody is supposed to.

Incase you have not figured it out yet - on the QVC BB you are not allowed to have different opinions than some posters.

Respected Contributor

I thoroughly enjoy crockpot cooking. I do not just "dump" food in it. I choose some different things to try, usually of my own thinking. I find the flavors very good and it sure is easier to prepare meals than individual pots and pans sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Mine too - that is why I said any type of cooking depends on the ingredients used not the pot it is cooked in. If you put in trash you will get trash as an end result but if you make the effort to put in fresh, tasty foods and herbs you will get out something delightful.

As for those who say the food comes out dry - I don't know what they are doing wrong but that has never been my experience. The food is moist and tender.I wonder if they are cooking it much too long. I never cook anything longer than 6 hours, but I am lucky that mine has a timer so it will turn itself on when I set it to.

I also always pre brown any and all meat that is going in the crockpot so when it is done the meat looks cooked not just some bland grey mess.Usually I throw whatever meat we are having on the grill to brown it - then we get the nice flavor from the grill plus the meat gets browned.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/18/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/18/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

Incase you have not figured it out yet - on the QVC BB you are not allowed to have different opinions than some posters.

I know. I looked at the poster who made the comment....and then I realized why that comment was made.