Super Contributor

Re: Anyone Had Luck With Other-Than-Le-Creuset Cast Iron Dutch Ovens?

I bought a Lodge 6 quart for $60. Porcelain enamel resists sticking. I use it a lot to make no bake bread and I've never, ever had a thing stick to it. As a matter of fact, I only wash it (porcelain enamel allows you to do that) because it doesn't even need more than a wipe with a damp paper towel.

Honored Contributor

I bought my first and only cast iron on clearance from WS. It is a 5 qt Staub Pumpkin and quite pretty if I do say so myself. The lid is heavier than the pot and I'm told it is heavier than Le Creuset in general. Nothing to compare it to but happy with it. 

I'm sure they all work fine and it is a preference. 

Trusted Contributor

My DD bought a Cuisinart Dutch Oven at Home Goods about 5 years ago for $45.00. She uses it at least once a week and loves it.

I can't use heavy pots anymore, too heavy for me.

Trusted Contributor

Staub and Lodge.  Great prices at Home goods.  Kroger Marketplace frequently has Lodge at 50% off.  

Valued Contributor

I've heard great things about Staub. And they often go on sale. 

I have several Lodge pieces that I love. Got them through Walmart.com.

All the Lodge is made in the US...with the exception of their enamel-coated Dutch ovens. There's apparently no US manufacturer that can do enamel-coating on cast iron anymore, so those are made entirely in China. In reviews on Amazon and Walmart.com purchasers complain that the enamel-coating on the China-made pans tends to flake off with light use. 

Respected Contributor

I have a few pieces from Martha Stewart’s line at Macy’s. I’ve been very happy with them.
Valued Contributor

I bought a Crock Pot brand Dutch oven at Tuesday Morning for a great price.

Respected Contributor

we have a cast iron 12 inch pan from pioneer woman and we love it. it was 27 dollars.

Honored Contributor

First off any of those type of things are just too freaking heavy for me.

And I would NEVER  in a milion years spend hundreds of $$ for one of the name brand.

I did try Martha Stewarts knock off in a 2 1/2 qt size and used it for a few years--not very often however-- it chipped and the interior turned a nasty shade of dirty  brown color that I could never get clean as well as it crazed like crazy Man Wink

Donated that dumb thing.

Am buying light weight cookware, either in stainless or the chemical free nonstick, like Curtis Stone. 

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of Le Creuset, one Lodge, one KitchenAid, and at one time I had a Cuisinart.  The Cuisinart chipped terribly, and was replaced with the Lodge.  I bought the Lodge on Amazon for a fabulous price, and the reason for not going with Le Creuset on this particular piece is that it is a size that I don't use all that often.