Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Had Luck With Other-Than-Le-Creuset Cast Iron Dutch Ovens?

Many are mentioning Home Goods. I've found all of the TJX companies--HomeGoods/Marshall's/TJ Maxx--to be an excellent source of cookware. They have a nice variety. I've noticed Le Creuset there, at great prices, and I'll check for Lodge. I love the DO I found there, and I've also been extremely happy with another of their proprietary brands, something called Woodstone Homestead. I ended up getting a few pieces over a couple of years, one at a time. The SA told me they couldn't keep them in stock, and I believe it. They're very attractive--substantial, yet lighter weight, and they have that charcoal-gray speckled interior--*nothing* sticks to them.

Once I got rid of my old matched set after many years of use, I decided I'd just get odd pieces as needed, and that's what I've done--attractive, functional pieces here and there.

LOL And I'm still going to keep my eye open for that pretty blue to add to my "collection!"

What worries you masters you.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a beautiful cobalt blue Calphalon cast iron dutch oven.  The outside is enameled in the cobalt blue.  It works great and I've had it about 4 years.  I love Le Creuset but couldn't justify the price.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

One more I forgot to mention previously is Dansk cast iron. Mario Batali by Dansk

Honored Contributor

Just a mention about Le Creuset products at Marshalls/Homegoods/TJM :  I have noticed that not all of the LC products there are fully finished.  Since they are seconds, the production stops when the flaw is noticed, so they don't complete all the coats.  At least this is what I have noticed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady  ... yes, try Cuisinart CI670-30CR Chef's Classic Enameled Cast Iron 7-Quart Round Covered Casserole.  I purchased mine from Amazon.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a porcelain coated cast iron dutch oven from Aldi's a few years ago. under $40 I think.  I've absolutely no problems, no chipping.  For Me: When I see LC I just can't see paying the price.

Honored Contributor

I have a cheap $20 enamaled covered cast iron 3 quart dutch oven from the supermarket that I just love.  It's my favorite pot.

It's just my opinion, I don't think a really expensive pot makes the food taste better.  The only difference to me is that they would heat more evenly and not have hot or cold spots?

Valued Contributor

I might add that I have a Lodge cast-iron dutch oven that isn't porcelain-coated and it's my favorite piece of cookware. I use it for everything from roasting meat and chicken to baking bread. It is supposedly not advisable to use uncoated cast iron for cooking anything with a high amount of acid, like tomatoes, tomato sauce or wine because the acid can leach iron and while a little iron is not unhealthy it might leave the food with an iron taste. But if the cast iron is well-seasoned there won't be leaching. Lodge comes pre-seasoned. The few times I've cooked with wine or tomatoes we haven't tasted any leached iron. 

It was only about $30 through Walmart.com. A great deal considering all the use I've gotten from it. 

Contributor

Yes.  I have a few different brands of enamel cast iron pieces and they all work great.  Years ago I bought a 4 qt. oval on clearance for $25 from HSN but I don't recall the brand.  It still works great.  I also have a Lodge 3.5 qt. brassier I got from Walmart that I love.  Also from Walmart, a 5.5 or 6 qt. round Tramontina enamel cast iron that was on clearance for under $40.  Last is a Martha Stewart 3 qt.  I really like them all.

Trusted Contributor

I love my Le Creuset.  However, I love the suggestions in this thread.  DH has wanted a cast iron pan to use soley on the grill.  I'm not willing to spend Le Creuset money on something that will get destroyed outside.  Glad there are many other options out there.

Personally while using my Le Creuset yes food may stick to it while cooking as with any pan; they all clean up perfectly.  You woul dnever know that food  had been stuck to them.  I have one on the stove I use almost every day.  Rarely use any of my stainless steel cookware at all anymore.