Trusted Contributor

Re: Anybody remember "Hobo" bread, it was baked in a can?

I just discovered that 1 lb. coffee cans are no longer 1 pound. They're 13 oz. or 14 oz. Also, I don't think my idea about using a large tomato juice can would work because of the white coating that's inside most of these cans. That could be harmful. I suppose there are other cans that are similar to the old 1 lb. coffee cans but I'm just not in the mood to check it out any more. Ugh.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

If I make this recipe it will just need to be baked in a 9x5x2 loaf pan...and be done with it. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

Hi Divine and Bette!!

My grandmother was from Russia and she always baked Easter bread in cans. I looked for coffee cans last Easter and I ran into the same problems you did. White stuff inside, paint on outside not heat proof, and the infamous lip around the edge. I found these paper pans that worked really well. Of course Easter bread is a yeast dough, not a batter.

Product Details

Hobo bread is smaller. Would Bush Baked bean can work? The big can. Some have white inside, some don't.

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 Divine said:
On 2/3/2015 Azcowgirl said: A friend gave me her wonderful recipe back in the 60's ....my favorite way to eat it was with cream cheese on it...but I remember it tasting quite a bit different than Boston brown bread from the can, which I remember having a distinct molasses flavor, so I thought hobo bread and Boston brown bread were two different things.

Yes. I agree with you. The Boston Brown Bread in the can tastes totally different to me than the Hobo Bread. I believe they are completely different breads.

I'm wondering if it would be alright to bake the Hobo Bread in regular 9x5 loaf pans?

Edited to add that I'm thinking all you'd need to do is tweak the cooking time a bit. Maybe?{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Divine...that's exactly the way we used to bake it, ....in the loaf pan.
Super Contributor

I remember buying sweet bread baked in a clay flowerpot at a little tearoom on Topeka Kansas when I was a little girl. Must have been similar to this hobo bread. I will have to look for some.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/3/2015 shoekitty said:

Hi Divine and Bette!!

My grandmother was from Russia and she always baked Easter bread in cans. I looked for coffee cans last Easter and I ran into the same problems you did. White stuff inside, paint on outside not heat proof, and the infamous lip around the edge. I found these paper pans that worked really well. Of course Easter bread is a yeast dough, not a batter.

Product Details

Hobo bread is smaller. Would Bush Baked bean can work? The big can. Some have white inside, some don't.

The baked bean cans might work. I think Campbell's still sells Tomato and Chicken Noodle in large cans. Those have a paper label, so no paint to worry about.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

Look what I found at Fante's!!! I bought both sizes but I'm thinking the smaller one (on the left 1.5 qt.) will work out best. I actually got 3 of the smaller and 2 of the larger. Looks like I'm going to be making a lot of round bread. lol..

Member Since 11/20/2008
Regular Contributor

My mom did this with Pumpkin Bread.

Valued Contributor

Had never heard of this before! Is this more of a ""northern"" thing? Looks great and fun to try!

Super Contributor

I sure do remember Hobo Bread. Use to make it all the time back in the 70s. Mine was not like the boston brown bread as shown here, nor did it have nuts or raisins in it. It was a regular bread recipe, but used honey in it which is what gave it that sweet tinge taste. Loved this bread. Have no idea where my recipe for it went, but it sure was good.

Thanks for the memories

Vicki

Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 vickisok said:

I sure do remember Hobo Bread. Use to make it all the time back in the 70s. Mine was not like the boston brown bread as shown here, nor did it have nuts or raisins in it. It was a regular bread recipe, but used honey in it which is what gave it that sweet tinge taste. Loved this bread. Have no idea where my recipe for it went, but it sure was good.

Thanks for the memories

Vicki

Vicki, I'm going to make the "Hobo Bread" version, with raisins and white sugar. The Boston Brown Bread is made with molasses and is completely different, athough both were baked in coffee cans. Can't find the correct coffee cans so that's why I bought the ones I mentioned in post #35. I'm just waiting for my pans to arrive. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Member Since 11/20/2008