Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody remember "Hobo" bread, it was baked in a can?

Trusted Contributor

I just looked on Amazon for B&M Brown Bread. It is still being made and one description said to use it in an emergency survival food kit. It was kind of expensive on Amazon, but I wonder what stores would carry it?

P.S. Vermont Country Store has two cans for $10.90, not including shipping and handling if you are interested.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

I second Trader Joes Hobo bread. They brought it in as a holiday offering a couple years ago, It was so sought after and popular they made it a regular staple! It is in their bread section, by the muffins and zucchini breads

Esteemed Contributor

This thread has me ready to buy the cheapest coffee in a can I can find, just to get the cans{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I have a Keurig and even if I used the coffee in the My K Cup, the brand I would use, and I think all better brands, come in a plastic can. Seems only the cheap stuff still comes in a metal can{#emotions_dlg.blink}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

This thread also has me remembering when I was a kid, my mom used to bake all our bread, and some of it was baked in 3lb coffee cans. Maybe she did not have enough loaf pans??

The coffee cans came from a company called Jewel Tea and was delivered to our door by a door to door salesman. Anyone else remember the Jewel Tea man?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

A friend gave me her wonderful recipe back in the 60's ....my favorite way to eat it was with cream cheese on it...but I remember it tasting quite a bit different than Boston brown bread from the can, which I remember having a distinct molasses flavor, so I thought hobo bread and Boston brown bread were two different things.
Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 GrailSeeker said:

I remember a recipe similar to this. It was called Boston Brown Bread and baked in a tin can.

this is what my mom and gram use to get and just a few months ago I saw it in the grocery store and picked up a can. This sure brought back a lot of good memories. We use to slice it thin than put a little bit of butter on it. It was good with a cup of coffee or tea.

Regular Contributor

I bought a Hobo bread made in a can at the gift shop in Greenfield Village last fall when we were there.

They said it is made there in the kitchens. Delish!! Just like I remember it from years ago..

I had forgotten all about it up until then.

Valued Contributor

I remember my mom baking the brown bread with raisins in cans, she would serve them with homemade bake beans. I also know she made fruit cakes at Xmas time in cans .she told me during the depression my grandfather who worked on the railroad would have a bag and he would scoop up the clean flour that came out of the sacks and put it in this bag .then at Xmas time he would divide it up for the poor and that is how they made their Christmas pudd in the cans. Funny how you think of these memories ".
Respected Contributor

Maybe this is OCD, but cans have chemicals in the lining that can leach into food under heat- Although this is cute idea, I don't think it is healthy-