Respected Contributor

Anybody make Refrigerator Pickles??

Do you put them in a jar or plastic container??

Anybody have a good recipe to try??

Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody make Refrigerator Pickles??

My parents used to do this every summer because they grew cucumbers (among other things) in the garden and had lots of them to use up. I'd say glass is probably best because I think you start with a hot brine. My folks used to make bread & butter pickles which were sweet and I didn't like them. I prefer a sour pickle.

I don't have a recipe but I''m sure you will find plenty if you Google. Good luck with your pickles!

Honored Contributor

You mean quick vinegar pickles? I've always used glass jars for both my vinegar pickles and my lactic acid fermented ones.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Hi Barbarainnc,

I do, I make my grandmas Icebox Marinated Pickles. I usually keep them in a glass jar.

I will hunt up the recipe for you and post it tomorrow. I also make her Pickled Jerusalem Artichokes.

tkins

Honored Contributor

Glass is the best.

Honored Contributor

Now I have to know, what are lactic acid fermented pickles?

Respected Contributor

I just pour Dutch-style sweet-sour ""dressing"" over thinly sliced cukes (glass jar always) and place in the fridge. They don't last long enough to worry about!

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

I make this recipe every summer. I like to make them as close to the end of the summer as possible so that I have them throughout the Fall months. I put mine into canning jars but do not process them as if I were canning. I keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 months and they are delicious. I give some jars to our friends and relatives and everyone loves them. This recipe is nice and easy to make and really good. I hope that you get a chance to make them. If you do make them remember to shake the pickles every once in a while when storing in the refrigerator.

Three – Hour Refrigerator Pickles

6 Pounds of cucumbers

4 medium onions

4 cups sugar

4 cups of white vinegar

½ cup salt

1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric

Slice the cucumbers ¼ inch thick. Slice onions 1/8 inch thick. Place both in a large nonmetal bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture. Stir well for 5 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for the recipe. Now I have to get ground turmeric, wonder if I could use a squirt of mustard instead??

Respected Contributor

On 6/26/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Thanks so much for the recipe. Now I have to get ground turmeric, wonder if I could use a squirt of mustard instead??

I think you might be better off with the turmeric--2 tsp is a lot more than would be in a squirt of mustard, though it was a pretty good idea! And you don't want so much mustard powder, which would be in the mustard. Turmeric isn't that expensive.

Do you have The Joy of Pickling? That's my bible for pickles, and you can get an idea of what to stock your pantry with for more pickles (I love dilled green beans and okra.)