Super Contributor

Re: Anybody make Refrigerator Pickles??

Hi Barbarainnc,

I found the recipe, so here you go.

Icebox Marinated Pickles

Slice

12 Pickling Cucumbers

1 Large Sweet Onion

Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons Salt, let sit for 2 Hours. Rinse 2 times with cold water.

In a Sauce Pan Combine

2 ¼ - 2 ½ Cups Sugar

2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar

Bring to almost a boil. Let cool. Pour over cucumbers and onion. Put in jars or container with lid. Refrigerate. Enjoy once well chilled.

I was curious about what the turmeric did that was listed in the other recipe, so I looked it up, looks like it is mostly for coloring. A substitution that was listed was curry powder and another said it could be left out.

Hope that helps and enjoy your pickles.

tkins

Super Contributor

I call them pickled cucumbers. The only ingredient I don't use is turmeric.

Respected Contributor

tkins, thanks for posting the recipe. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

On 6/26/2014 depglass said:

Now I have to know, what are lactic acid fermented pickles?

depglass, here is a basic method for lacto-fermenting veggies. I do it with carrot sticks and green beans mostly, but sometimes I set aside some cauliflower florettes if I buy a whole head, or a mix of veggies including peppers and onions. I got this off the net a while ago. Don't know from where. I rarely use the fresh dill (I don't grow it, and it's $$ in the market) so either use dried or no dill at all. I serve it as a little side dish with a sandwich wrap or soup, or at the dinner table. OR I've even small-chopped them into a roughly spreadable texture like a tampenade to add to a sandwich, wraps, or top on a cracker. Add to that reperatoire kimchi (Korean flavored fermented cabbage) and kraut, even fruit. Delicious and healthy, full of enzymes and good for the digestion. - Bird

Makes 2 quarts

1 lb young green beans, trimmed

2 tablespoons red pepper flakes, or to taste

4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled

1 teaspoon black peppercorns

2 large handfuls of dill (flowering heads preferred, but leaves work well too)

water and salt for brine

Make a brine with a ratio of 3 tablespoons of sea salt to every 1 quart of water. Set aside.

In the bottom of each of your quart jars divide up the red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, peppercorns, and dill.

Place the green beans on top of the seasonings, straight up if they are long and thin or sideways if thicker and cut into chunks. Cover with your brine solution up to 1 inch from top of jar.

Seal tightly with a lid and allow to ferment at 60-80 degrees (on your countertop) for 3-10 days, tasting to determine when it has fermented to your tastes. (It will get tangier as it ferments.)

Refrigerate.

My garden has tons of kale right now - I'm thinking of lacto-fermenting a jarful with some red peppers, garlic, and garden bok choi.

Respected Contributor

On 6/26/2014 Campion said:
On 6/26/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Thanks so much for the recipe. Now I have to get ground turmeric, wonder if I could use a squirt of mustard instead??

I think you might be better off with the turmeric--2 tsp is a lot more than would be in a squirt of mustard, though it was a pretty good idea! And you don't want so much mustard powder, which would be in the mustard. Turmeric isn't that expensive.

Do you have The Joy of Pickling? That's my bible for pickles, and you can get an idea of what to stock your pantry with for more pickles (I love dilled green beans and okra.)

Barbarainnc.......... I agree with Campion in that I too would use the turmeric instead of the mustard. The turmeric has an earthy taste to it so besides using it for color it also adds some flavor to the pickles. The recipe I gave you comes out great with using the turmeric.

Valued Contributor

If you can babysit some counter top pickles for 21 days, you might like this one. I have made these for years and I keep my extra jars in the garage frig. That is the only bad thing about them.....have to be stored in the frig. and I ususally make 2-3 gallons every year. Kids seem to really like them.

Have: glass gallon jars with tight fitting lids. Slice your unpeeled cucumbers about 1/4" thick into your jars. Do not peel them....I did that one year by mistake and they were not good. Restaurants will sometimes give you these jars if you ask them.

Pour over them: 4-cups apple cider vinegar heated to hot, (not boiling) mixed with 2-T. pickling spices, 2-T. alum and 2-T. pickling salt. Mix until salt and alum are dissolved. Finish filling the jar with tap water. Turn jar upside down. ( I put in a pan just in case a leak should happen.) Turn the jar over everyday for 21 days. After 21 days drain the liquid from pickles and rinse very well in a colander or by holding handfuls and rinsing the cucumbers very well. Put in a very large bowl and mix in (hands work best) 5-6 cups sugar. The pickles will make their own liquid and will crisp up when chilled. It takes about 2 gallons of this recipe to pack into one gallon for storage in the frig. Remember, they have to stay cold to store.

Valued Contributor

Here is another one...kind of semi-homemade. 5 DAY PICKLES.

1-quart cheap sliced dill pickles. Drained.

2-1/2 cups sugar

2-T. minced garlic..I use jarred.

1-t. hot sauce.

Mix well and put back in pickle jar. Keep in frig and turn jar over every day for 5 days.

Respected Contributor

I made some refrigerator pickles and opened them up at lunch, I thought they were very good. I asked my hubby if he liked them, he said to leave out the onions next time.

Super Contributor

This is the one I use.

14 cups sliced pickling cucumbers
2 cups sliced onions (I used two medium onions)
2 cups sliced green or red peppers (I used one of each)
2 Tablespoons Kosher salt (do not use any other kind of salt)

6 cups white sugar
3 cups apple cider vinegar

2 Tablespoons celery seed

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix cucumbers, onions, peppers and kosher salt together; pack into a gallon jar.
2. Add 2 Tablespoons celery seed
3. Heat sugar and apple cider vinegar until sugar is dissolved; pour over packed pickles.
4. Refrigerate for 3 days and Enjoy!

I used 10 cups with 4 cups of sugar and 2 cups of vinegar.

Respected Contributor

chips Thanks for posting the recipe!!!