Esteemed Contributor

I have NEVER gotten sick from eating raw cookie dough, and I do eat it on occassion.  There are a lot of things I eat if they are passed the expiration date too.  Just this morning I ate yogurt that expired in May.   It tasted fine and I am fine. When hurricane IRMA came through, we were without power for 6 days.  I threw out a lot of food from my fridge after the power came on.  But I had made egg salad before the hurricane.  There was still some left in the fridge days after we had no power.  It looked fine, smelled fine, and I ate it.  And I had no ill effects whatsoever.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Why make cookies if not to eat the dough 

Honored Contributor

LOL

Honored Contributor

redwingsgal wrote:

I am like the only person in the history of the world who does not care for raw cookie dough.  But I DO enjoy licking the spoon after making a cake!  And no, I have never gotten sick!!

Oh no, you're not the only one!   Eating raw dough doesn't appeal to me in the least.     I think, for me, much of that is the idea of raw eggs that grosses me out the most.  Plus - dough?   Why?   No makey sense.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I love yeast dough I could eat the whole bread dough. LOL I'll sit and tear off chunks and then gripe "that yeast is growing in me" LOL Hubbo hollers "well, yeah, I guess it is it's raising in your gut ".    ROFL

Honored Contributor

When you think about all the food handling and safety warnings, I have to wonder how did I ever make it to 63.

Raw cookie dough, licking the cake batter beaters, my mother stuffing the turkey the night before or using the same cutting board for meat and vegetables without turning it over or washing it.....

I also played in the dirt, drank from the garden hose and ate homegrown tomatoes off the vine and fruit off the trees without bringing it in to wash it first.

Honored Contributor

Oh please on the folks that give the cookie dough, cake ect... a bad wrap.  Licking the bowl and spoon was basically and after school snack back in my days as a child.  Never have stopped and even put some aside to eat later when I can savor after the clean up of the kitchen.  I suppose it is one of the "wonders" like our Grandparents and back lived off bacon, grease, and cigarettes and lived until their 90's.

Nope never been sick after a lot of bowl licking.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Occasional Contributor

Anybody ever get sick watching Sharon F. Eat? Is she the only host you all can round up to feed her face on expensive food? I think not. For goodness sakes get some new old host to swap out with her or is this all Sharon can do?

Honored Contributor

beckyb1012 wrote:

Oh please on the folks that give the cookie dough, cake ect... a bad wrap.  Licking the bowl and spoon was basically and after school snack back in my days as a child.  Never have stopped and even put some aside to eat later when I can savor after the clean up of the kitchen.  I suppose it is one of the "wonders" like our Grandparents and back lived off bacon, grease, and cigarettes and lived until their 90's.

Nope never been sick after a lot of bowl licking.

Everybody likes different stuff.  It's ok!  Smiley Happy  No bad rap here, just personal preference.

For me, probably the biggest problem with it is that eggs already gross me out so it doesn't appeal to me to consume them raw even more than just in general.  Beyond that, no biggie but it just doesn't seem like something I'd like.  I'm pretty food-picky, though.

Valued Contributor

It's not just the raw eggs, but the raw flour they're speaking of.  They say that e-coli can be in raw flour and to bake it ,before mixing up your dough, to kill any bacteria..... like I'm going to do that..

Last year, I think it was, Gold Medal had a recall on some of their flour... I got a note from Sams club, but the flour I bought wasn't on the list...

Also they had a big recall of Toll House, etc. and all pre-made cookie dough .....never buy the pre-made dough, so I wasn't concerned about that...

I'm among those who've eaten cookie dough, cake dough, raw eggnog, raw nuts, etc. since I was a kid and so far I've never gotten sick....I guess I've been lucky..I think most warnings are to keep people from suing the companies if they do get sick......

People, now days, are su-happy, unfortunately.....so they have to cover their b**ts if someone does end up sick.....