Trusted Contributor

Anybody air fry cornish hens?

I've been looking for a good recipe but can't find one--they're all missing something. These little chickens are usually about 1.2 lbs. in my stores.

I get the general method, but wonder about the temperature and time settings. Anybody have advice for me?

thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody air fry cornish hens?

Hi @KaySD, that sounds good! I air fry in my NuWave oven and like trying new things in there.

I don't know what to suggest because I don't know what you've tried so far.

I just Googled 'air fry Cornish hens' and and there are lots of ideas and recipies to choose from. Hope you find something that appeals to you!

Trusted Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

I've been looking for a good recipe but can't find one--they're all missing something. These little chickens are usually about 1.2 lbs. in my stores.

I get the general method, but wonder about the temperature and time settings. Anybody have advice for me?

thanks!

The Blue Jean Chef Air Fry cookbook has a lovely recipe for Air Frying Cornish game hens.  It's delicious,, full of flavor, crispy skin, and moist meat.  Heathy, and no oil to clog your arteries. Try it, you will not be disappointed.    Smiley Happy

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Here's Emeril's recipe.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes

Yield: 1 to 2 servings

AIR FRIED CORNISH GAME HEN

• 1 1 ½ pound Cornish game hen
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 ½ teaspoons Emeril's Original
Essence or Cajun seasoning
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• ½ lemon
• 5 sprigs fresh thyme

Rub the Cornish hen with the olive oil and season with the Essence and salt. Place the lemon half and thyme sprigs in the cavity of the hen. Tie the hen so that the wings are pinned behind the back and the legs are pushed together and up. Place the hen in the Air Fryer.
Set the temperature of the Air Fryer to 320° and the timer for 30 minutes.
The hen is done when an instant-read thermometer registers 165°. Let it rest for 5 minutes before carving.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @x Hedge. I did find a lot of listings, but looking more closely, I wasn't finding what I was wanting. Of course that's why I turned to all you experts on this board! @EatWell, thanks for the tip about Meredith's book. I just ordered it. And @Nightowlz, that sounds really good. Thanks, all!

Honored Contributor

I havent done the cornish hens, but they should turn out great.  The recipes posted look very good.  I find the air fryer so handy.  Baking a meat loaf tonight.  Also, great for reheating sandwiches from a restaurant.  Microwaving makes the bread soggy, frying pan can warm the bread, but not the filling (turkey, etc.).  I used the air fryer and my half sandwich turned out great.  Next time though I will remove the lettuce first--it was just a small part of the sandwich and the little piece of lettuce was way over done.  

Trusted Contributor

Oh, no, @Daysdee -- your sad lettuce leaf. Poor little thing! Smiley Happy But I agree the air fryer is very useful. I fried some nice organic chicken wings in today--I did nothing to them at all, just tossed them in. 8 min on each side, and the skins turned brown and crisp while the meat was super juicy. I love Meredith's tip about putting water in the drawer to keep the drippings from sticking.

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

thanks!

The Blue Jean Chef Air Fry cookbook has a lovely recipe for Air Frying Cornish game hens.  It's delicious,, full of flavor, crispy skin, and moist meat.  Heathy, and no oil to clog your arteries. Try it, you will not be disappointed.    Smiley Happy

Good luck.

Great I'm getting an air fryer next week and I have Meredith Laurence's book coming, and I love cornish hens. I have the best (to me) stuffing. I can make it on the side too, I have got to try that!!! LOL