Super Contributor

Re: Any regrets about how you fed your family when ""it"" was young?

I'm sorry for their attitude toward what were your best efforts. I too am in the same situation, but my kids, at least to my face, are not that judgemental.

Look, we didn't have the internet then. We had the usual brainwashing by the food industry, i.e. the constant assult of TV commercials and supermarket shelf control. We grew up with the USDA and FDA telling us what was good for us, yet now know that they are merely protecting the big agribusiness and food industry money, not US. From ignorance to information, that was the slit in the window of our history where we were caught.

Even today, we are not getting critical information on health, food and science on our major networks because it is those very industries that feed the media and they won't bite the hand that feeds them by undermining (with truthful broadcasting) the detriment they cause to our health.

We did our best. When the first kid came home from college and asked for soy milk, I bought it, I tried it and liked it, never went back to the cow product. Then, later switched to almond milk. So, a little education and exposure went a long way with me, (and continues to change me) and I am sure it would have with you too.

Now, to answer your question, if I could change one thing it would be to have kept DAIRY from my family. I look back and see the patterns of illness and can in many ways link it back to dairy.

Meat, sugar, wheat, those would follow, but if I could only make one change, it would be dairy. - Bird

P.S. and don't get me started on GMO!!!

Super Contributor

On 1/14/2014 LoopyLoo said:

You hit it right on the head, delilah. (You'll always be delilah to me!) When we are young our youthful idealism can make us appear arrogant. I'll never forget when my kids were very young, (and so was I) telling my dad, regarding my new job, that *I* want to be a good role model for my kids. (Mom had never worked outside the home.) He said, "You're breaking my heart, implying that your mother wasn't a good role model." Of course that wasn't my intention, but that's how he perceived my words. Both the job and they are long gone, but the memory of my pompous attitude still brings a tear to my eye. With age comes humility. I'm glad your son doesn't know you heard him. But don't fret about his early nutrition--it sounds like he's just fine. 'Ya done good'!

You are very sweet, LoopyLoo {#emotions_dlg.wub} I have some of those conversations locked in my head, too. I was never a fan of Cher's music, but she did one song that said, "Wish I could turn back time - take back those words that hurt you". Unfortunately, we can't. I also remember being young and idealistic, thinking I had all the answers. It's interesting how we grow older and wiser and one of the wisdoms we learn is that we don't have all the answers.

Occasional Contributor

Just saw Betty White on Queen Latifah's show. She said that she has hot dogs for lunch almost every day. I know that's not healthy but apparently not too bad as she is 92.

You do the best you can with what you could afford at the time. I remember eating spaghetti a lot - it was all we could afford. I would add a lot of veggies and a little meat to make it healthier and to stretch for a young family of 4. Both of my kids are skinny (daughter fits in a size 4 even after 2 kids. Son is 6'4" and never gets above 170 pounds). Go figure.

Personally, I think vegan is the "in" thing. I tend to not eat a lot of meat as I prefer veggies but I do like my cheese and other milk products such as yogurt.

Look - your child got through his teenage years without you killing him so he should consider himself lucky! Wink

Super Contributor

They made it through and are still alive and healthy. So, no regrets.

Contributor

On 1/14/2014 ballinmom said:e will enjoy sharing their lifestyle with their children, and I think you should get on board. Get in the kitchen with him and/or your DIL and learn how to make treats that your future grandchildren will enjoy

Get on board?

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}Oh come on!!! If there are grandchildren, their parents should send those special "treats" with them when they visit, if they're even permitted to be in a home where junk food may be served.

Super Contributor

No regrets. My sons are now in their 40s and healthy.

We ate (still do) mostly home cooked foods. I never did buy into the ""prepared foods"" idea. They're expensive and filled with ingredients I can't spell or pronounce. We also didn't/still don't eat at fast food places very often.

I want our food to be as close to the original food source as possible. DH has a wonderful garden. I freeze veggies. I can fruits. We eat meat in moderation; use milk in moderation; eat sugar (never sugar substitutes) and eat a wide variety of other foods. We do NOT follow the food fads. What's in today is often out tomorrow.

This diet has served us well. Dh and I are both almost 70. DH still works in our small family business every day. I run up and down the steps in our home many times/day. We walk the dog in the field two or three times a day. We're of average weight. I'm on NO prescription meds. He takes a very low dose of BP meds (hereditary problem) and takes a 10 mg Crestor two times a WEEK. Don't ask how that works but it does.

Valued Contributor

I won't say I did as well as my mother did with her fresh fruits and veggies daily and a balanced meal every night but I think hubby and I did a pretty good job of creating meals that were healthy for our family. Sure enough there were plenty of nights when the kids wanted macaroni and cheese (the boxed kind) and we said yes and threw in a hot dog or two for protein (lol) but I grew up on home cooked meals so that's what I knew. In retrospect, maybe we ate meat too often, certainly way more than we do today, but I did what I thought was best for my family at the time and I won't second guess my intentions or regret those decisions now.

Today, of course, there are options that weren't available back when I grew up or my children after me, today we can go to Costco and buy a rotisserie chicken, pre cooked. We can purchase prepared portions of meals, mashed potatoes that just re-heat, veggies already cooked and dressed...maybe not as good as home cooked but better than fast food and that's pretty much how my daughter feeds her own family so she can have dinner on the table within 30 minutes or so of when she gets home from work.

Today's working moms have to look for shortcuts if they want to provide nutritious meals for their families...it's the new world order, so to speak.

Maria

Trusted Contributor

On 1/15/2014 CDN2 said:

On 1/14/2014 ballinmom said:e will enjoy sharing their lifestyle with their children, and I think you should get on board. Get in the kitchen with him and/or your DIL and learn how to make treats that your future grandchildren will enjoy

Get on board?

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}Oh come on!!! If there are grandchildren, their parents should send those special "treats" with them when they visit, if they're even permitted to be in a home where junk food may be served.

My suggestion was in response to the OP's desire to cook with her future grandchildren. She stated that it was something she really looks forward to. I don't think her son's family's diet should get in the way. Learning something new is really no big deal.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Super Contributor

No Regrets. I did the best I could with the information I had at the time. It will be interesting to see if all the organic eating really makes a difference in the long run.

Valued Contributor

No regrets at all. We raised our own chickens and canned our vegetables. I made bread, granola for breakfast and baked goods for snacks. There was no junk food or pop in the house and they had one packet of kool aid a week. Also home made yogurt made with powdered milk. They couldn't wait to leave home and eat like normal people Smiley Happy