Honored Contributor

Any recommendations for really good kitchen shears.....

..... to replace the ten lousy ones that I have now?  I have KitchenAid (good for a month), Wusthof (disappointed in this generally good brand), Sabatier (from Costco; came in a three-pack), Tramontina (never cut well), and OXO (usually my go-to gadget, but these were mediocre at best.)

If I could get a decent brand I'd like to pick up at least three.

TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Any recommendations for really good kitchen shears.....

I buy everything Cutco.  Have had their shears for years and never been disappointed.  I must have every knife they sell.  Excellent quality.  

Honored Contributor

Cutco

the shears are amazing 

worth the $

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon   I use the Zylliss brand of stainless steel shears--including one for poultry and another for shellfish, along with a set of two of their general kitchen shears--one larger black handle with smooth blades and the other smaller red handle one with a saw tooth type edge.  

No complaints from me and I have had them for many years.

Hope this helps.  Happy holiday weeekeend.  Maybe you will catch a good sale on these.  If not, they are reasonable at the regular retail price.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

I use a regular heavy duty scissor that I picked up at the Dollar Store.  The handle is orange (Fishars?). hidemf3.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I second or third the recommendation for Cutco.  Lifetime guarantee and free sharpening.  They do offer sales twice a year I think.

Respected Contributor

i bought four of those Mark Charles snips a few years ago...the ones I constantly make fun of because QVC wants you to have a million pairs of them laying around!!!!

Use one set for spatchcocking chickens, cornish hen. ducks and turkeys. I eat a LOT of poultry and only buy whole birds.

I also cut them up for parts.

The others I just use as needed to cut flowers or stuff around the house.

The sets are and were cheap. They are cheap. They work that's all I care about! When they stop working, I'll buy another set. I figure, at 66, I'll need two sets before I leave this earth.

I spatchcock poultry EVERYTHING and have a GIANT laugh when I see spatched chickens for sale in the store at a premium ridiculous prices because someone took less than a minute to cut out that spine!!!

Just my opinion. I was looking for expensive chicken shears at one time too, then grabbed the MC shears, and jumped up and cried "WHY????"

Respected Contributor

I have those MCM shears in every room of my house. I also use them to break down and spatchcock chicken.
Honored Contributor

Thank you one and all for your recommendations!!  Going to look them all up in a bit and see what I think will work best for me.

Again; I appreciate the time you took to post.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I still use Henckel's.  They last forever.