Respected Contributor

Re: Any ideas for left over Roast Beef?

shepherd's pie

Trusted Contributor

Aside from reheated roast beef with gravy and hot and cold sandwiches, I love to use leftover roast in beef pot pie and vegetable-beef soup. I've also used it with Chinese veggies in egg foo young or stir-fry, and I've chopped beef and heated it in the oven with BBQ sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

One of our favorite restaurants serves pot roast nachos. I haven't tried it, but the guys in our family love it.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Lotus~ said:

Saute some onions with mushrooms.....slice the RB really, really thin (if you have a slicer even better).

Use a piece of bread of your choice...pile on the RB....add the mushrooms and onions then top with cheese of your choice...stick under the broiler til it melts to your liking.

MMMM...the best!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Debbie555 said: Thanks for all the great ideas! I don't normally have this much roast beef left over. Maybe enough for another meal of hot open roast beef or a sandwich or two. Wow, can I freeze cooked roast beef?

Hi Debbie555, as for freezing cooked roast beef, of course you can. When I'm putting any cooked meats in my freezer I seal them in plastic wrap first, then wrap them in Butcher's freezer paper to keep any moisture out, then to be on the safe side I put that inside a ziplock freezer storage bag.

I just noticed the date of your post, so I imagine by now you've either frozen your leftover roast beef, or found a recipe to your liking. For future reference, many of the suggestions for different beef soups are always a safe bet. My first choice would be a beef barley soup, tasty and nourishing. I was thinking of using it for "steak" tacos or fajitas...even though it's a different cut of meat, it would be tender after the roasting process. It would make an excellent Shepherd's Pie instead of using ground beef. I also like the idea of using it in a stir-fry with some Chinese vegetables, or make beef & broccoli. It would be a great addition to a Chef Salad, just use it sliced along with some turkey and ham and boiled egg, it would make a lovely and filling meal, perfect for lunch or dinner. Personally I love Beef Stroganoff and you could just slice up the roast beef into strips. Also Beef Bourguignon would be yummy. Of course there is nothing wrong with those open-faced hot roast beef sandwiches topped in brown gravy, delicious!!! You have me wishing I had a leftover beef roast. Smile

Super Contributor

After reading all of these great and delicious ideas for leftover roast beef........the only thing that I can add is that I need to defrost the roast in my freezer and cook it so that I can try.out some of these yummy dishes asap......great ideas!