Valued Contributor

Re: Any extreme couponers out there? I'm floored by this show!

Couponing has it's place, but not to the extreme.

I had a friend whose mother couponed and refunded back in the 50's. She bought gorgeous furniture for her home from the refund money.

Remember, couponing and refunding is income not taxed, because it's considered a discount on the products.

I used to do a lot of it while my kids were growing up. My dog ate free for 3 years until he died of old age. Never had to pay anything for shampoo, toothpaste, or any other kind of toiletries. I saved a fortune since we were a family of 6.

I subscribed to a refunding newsletter that would inform me what refunds were available. That's where I'd find out who had the coupons or refunds on meat, produce, milk and the like. All I had to do is ask at the customer service desk for the forms because most grocery stores never bothered to put them on display.

As I said, it has it's place, but some of these people sound nutty.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 Anniecamp said:

Remember, couponing and refunding is income not taxed, because it's considered a discount on the products.

I subscribed to a refunding newsletter that would inform me what refunds were available. That's where I'd find out who had the coupons or refunds on meat, produce, milk and the like. All I had to do is ask at the customer service desk for the forms because most grocery stores never bothered to put them on display.

Do you mean REBATES?

I haven't heard of refunding in this context.

Occasional Contributor

I'm a coupon user and PROUD of it...I buy 10 newspapers a week ( at a discount price). If it is really good coupon to me I will buy extra coupons on Ebay.

I NEVER clear off the shelves and limit my purchase to a few items at a time but I will return to a store several times a week to use my coupons.

Right now there is snow outside and I have a well stocked refrigerator, freezer and pantry.I don't have to go out for anything.

A few of my recent savings:

Cat treats a buy one get one free coupon and a store sale of buy one get one free. I got 80 yes 80 bags of cat treats for $0.00. These will last roughly 3 to 4 months. I store them in a lock n lock container.

My hairspray is $5.00 a bottle coupon was for $5.00 off 2, so I was getting two bottles for the price of one, and I was happy with that. Until my drugstore did a buy one get one free.I have about 40 bottles of hairspray or a little over a year of hairspray.

Sugar, flour and baking supplies I buy during the holiday season with coupons and I won't have to buy again until next holiday season.

I haven't had to buy dish detergent in about 4 years, laundry detergent for a year,. I finally went through my aluminum foil and restocked during the holidays with sales and coupons.

The products offered in the coupon inserts are not all junk. We all use toothpaste,razors, deodorant, laundry detergent,cleaning supplies,etc. Just using the coupons for those items and shopping sales can save you a substantial amount of money.

The primary store I shop at has a bin for food donations and I make weekly donations to this bin ( I couldn't do that without the use of coupons).

I'm also not going to pretend I don't eat processed foods..we all do..so there are some can soups, rice and potato side dishes,etc. I don't eat these foods everyday but when I'm in a hurry it's nice to know they are there.

Everything is stored on 4 shelving units in what amounts to about 15 feet of storage space. I store my sugar in food safe buckets. I simply put the newest purchase in back of what's on the shelf already and I'm rotating what I have. I can't afford to throw away my hard earned dollars and for me coupons are a wonderful thing.

Takes me about 3 hours on a Sunday to visit one website and search through my stores circulars. And I break this time up as well so it doesn't feel like it's taking so long.

As far as what you see on these extreme couponing shows that's simply not possible or ethical in my opinion.

Valued Contributor

The word rebates is a new word for it. Back then it was called refunding.

For example, buy 5 of something for $3.00. Use a coupon for $1.00 off, so you paid $2.00

Then send in the refund form with UPC, or label, etc. and get a check back for $3.00 or something like that. Item would be free or you'd make money on it.

Even back then, people would say postage was too high. Even with that, I made great money. It's even better when you buy the products on sale in the first place, which I always did.

Now, coupons expire too fast to bother a lot of times. I now shop at Aldi, and save so much money that I don't use a lot of coupons anymore. Just for some things, but I have to go to Walmart or a different grocery store.

Valued Contributor

Stonesgirl, you've got it figured out.Wink There's free money all over the place. It really doesn't take that much effort other than a learning curve. It just takes a little bit of focus.

If a person doesn't like to plan ahead, or even make a menu or grocery list, it won't work for them.

In the income tax bracket we were in at the time, every dollar I saved was worth between $1.60 to $1.70 earned at a job before taxes were taken out. That was additional savings/income.

Occasional Contributor

Anniecamp, I remember a refund magazine, it has to be at least a good 30 years. I think refundcents is the one I use to get.

Cockatiels are not throw away pets!
Honored Contributor

Stonesgirl - what you said makes sense. You are buying stuff you need and use, and are using it up.

Good for you for also donating some of the things you get! I wish more of the people in those shows did. In all the two seasons I watched the show I only saw two people who donated.

But yeah, like you said - what you see on those shows is beyond the pale. It doesn't make sense to have a stash of some stuff that is more that anybody could EVER possibly use.

Valued Contributor

OkeDoke, the one I used to get was called Refundle Bundle. As of a couple of years ago, it was still available.

I also got one that I think had the word cents in it, but not the one you mentioned.

Valued Contributor

I don't understand when they purchase a product that is on sale for $ 1.00 (as an example) and they have a $ 3.00 off coupon. They claim that they are making money by buying the item and the store is paying them to purchase it. What store would do this? Who would give them $ 2.00 to buy this item?? I think it's all rigged for the show.

Honored Contributor

I used to go through the sunday paper every week looking for coupons but the ones in the ads were not things I would use so I rarely had any. I agree with those who say those extreme coupoers have a mental illness. That said I do go through the PUBLIX ads every wednesday and make a list of the BOGOs I will buy. It is all stuff i will use though. This week it was Cheerios, iced tea and ritz crackers.