Super Contributor

Any easy ideas for preparing cabbage as a side dish to pork tenderloin?

I don't have a lot of time to fuss. Does anyone have an easy idea for a cabbage side dish?

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any easy ideas for preparing cabbage as a side dish to pork tenderloin?

On 12/30/2013 sunshine45 said:

saute it with some onion in some butter OR some bacon fat (you can crumble the crispy bacon into it if you want)..... let it caramelize a bit and it gets a fantastic flavor......just add sea salt and freshly ground pepper. sometimes i add a pinch of ground saffron.

we love this and mix in cooked, al dente, egg noodles, very good side dish or all in one meal dish. I sometimes add sliced carrots. I also sometimes use smoked sausage and sauté that with the onions and cabbage in butter, only use butter for flavoring, me that is. I than gently stir in the al dente cooked egg noodles. Not the healthiest dish but sure tastes good and once in awhile you can have anything.

Super Contributor

What about adding olive oil in a pan and cutting up some granny smith apples and adding cabbage along with a vinegrett (sp) or Balsamic vinegret?

Super Contributor

Thanks so much, everyone. I shredded it and sautéed it with onions in about 3 tbs. of butter. I added salt and pepper and it was excellent!

Valued Contributor

LOL - a bit late. From Jane Brody's Good Food Book

Braised Cabbage w/Caraway

1.5 lb head green cabbage, 1 tsp butter or margarine, 1 tbsp. minced fresh parsley, 1 tsp sugar, black pepper to taste, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 tsp caraway seeds or to taste

Cut most of core away leaving enough to hold 1.5 inch thick wedges together

melt butter in skillet and add parsley, sugar, broth, pepper and cabbage wedges. Cover the skillet and cook over moderate heat for about 12 minutes, basting the cabbage w/juices.

when cabbage is nearly done, sprinkle it w/caraway seeds. Serve cabbage w/a little of the pan juices.

Regular Contributor

On 12/31/2013 golden mariposa said:
On 12/30/2013 tiamaria said:

HALUSHKI!!!!!! I know my fellow Halushki lovers are going to back me up on this. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

So delicious and fairly easy. Saute a head of cabbage chopped, in a pot with butter and one chopped onion. Probably about a stick of butter {#emotions_dlg.w00t}. At the same time boil egg noodles and drain. Once the cabbage is wilted and coated in the butter and onion toss in the egg noodles. Add salt and pepper and mix. Sooooo good.

Love love love halushki. My grandmother and mother would make them every Friday. They were always my go-to comfort food. We didn't make ours too often with noodles. Mostly, we made them with the potato dumplings. Ever make them this way? Also sometimes we made them with dry cottage cheese instead of cabbage. Good old Slovak soul food. Thanks for the reminder. I may have to make up a batch this week-end.

Oh the potato dumplings sound delicious!!! We always made ours with wide egg noodles. My grandmother that always watched her salt(only had Mrs. Dash on the table!) always use to tell me that Halushki was the only thing she added salt to. It was made every Friday during lent, and when lent was over and my grandmother and mother made it it was considered a special treat. Just talking about it is making me hungry for it!!!

Highlighted
Contributor

I too am from Slovak culture.You just made my day thinking about potato dumplings and cabbage.I miss so much of our comfort foods.I made potato pancakes last Friday.My daughter and Imade farmers cheese pierogies and potato cheese for Christmas eve.I wish I would have learned how to make my Mothers mushroom soup we had on Christmas eve.So many beautiful memories.I

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2013 DiAnne said:

I am not a big cabbage fan but this sounds good. I am giving this a try. Thanks.

DiAnne, hope you enjoy.

On 12/30/2013 house cat said:

Wow! Now I'm looking at the little head of cabbage I bought, wishing I had six more! Great ideas! Thank you!

HouseCat, thanks for starting this thread. I'll be picking up a head of cabbage the next time I go shopping and trying something new. Apples are a staple for me so I'm looking forward to adding them to my cabbage.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2013 navy0412298 said:

Im an ole country cook from the mountains of NC.Cut cabbagae into quarters,wrap each section with few strips of bacon,tad of butter on each section put in foil.you can cook it on the grill or throw it in the oven about 45 minutes or until fork tender.You can skip the bacon or the butter just makes it so good.Salt and pepper to taste.This will be the best cabbage that you ever ate. Another way is cut the cabbage into quarters,Put some porkchops into pot with water to cover them when almost down throw in some potatos.whole or quartered when they are almost done put your quartered cabbage in just keep enough water to keep everything covered.This is also a good recipe.

Grill and oven are the way we do it. Love it and you really can't get any easier! It's the only way my DH will eat cabbage. Everyone that I have feed it to loves it, also. Need to try the pork chop version sometime.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

On 1/2/2014 rusty1 said:

I too am from Slovak culture.You just made my day thinking about potato dumplings and cabbage.I miss so much of our comfort foods.I made potato pancakes last Friday.My daughter and Imade farmers cheese pierogies and potato cheese for Christmas eve.I wish I would have learned how to make my Mothers mushroom soup we had on Christmas eve.So many beautiful memories.I

I made pierogies for Christmas Eve too along with bobalki, nut and poppy seed rolls, stuffed cabbage, kolachky and the mushroom soup. I can post the mushroom soup recipe for you if you want. Do you have the First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association 25th Anniversary Cookbook? It has over 440 pages of Slovak recipes and is a hardback. It's a steal at only $9.00. Here is the link in case you would like to order one. It is well worth the money.

Click here http://www.fcsla.org/cookbook.shtml.