Respected Contributor

Any Tips on How To Cut Up a Butternut Squash?

The kids and I grew butternut squash this year. We love making butternut squash fries! They're even better than sweet potato fries, honestly.

But what's an easy way to peel and cut them? They are really thick and difficult to peel and cut. I have a good knife and it still is not easy!

Any tips?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any Tips on How To Cut Up a Butternut Squash?

@Ladybug724 BE CAREFUL!  Honestly?  I've never found them easy but be sure they do not roll!  That's my biggest tip.

I'm sure there are videos, but you need a good stable sturdy knife for sure!  And SOME of them you can use a veggie peeler to help with the skin, but some are too hard for that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladybug724  I agree with @Sooner , you need a large, sturdy and sharp knife for sure. If you have a Groovetech or santoku knife to release easily from the sticky insides, use that. I cook butternut squash at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I cut off the stem and cut off the "bulb" from the neck. Then I peel the neck with a knife or a peeler. After that I cut the bulb in half and scrape out the seeds. Then I peel it. If the "bulb" is small and the neck is thick or long, you might not need to use the "bulb." Make sure you have a firm surface and grip. Keep your fingers away don't let it roll!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We peel and cube a lot of pumpkin every fall for the freezer.

I would not be without my Titan peeler.  I bought one many years ago on QVC and it has been one of the best kitchen gadgets I have ever purchased.  I like it so much, I bought two more.  I have three of them.

Amazon sells them and sometimes I see them at Walmart.

The peels just glide off like butter and they are safe to use. I have never cut myself.  The blades last forever.  I use mine almost everyday for potatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, apples, etc.

I just cut the pumpkin or squash in half, remove the seeds and peel and cut the flesh down to the size I need.  

Give the Titan a try.  It normally comes with two tools.  I use the peeler only and have never used the julienne tool that comes with it.  I have seen the peeler sold as a single, but not for a while.

448E7AE8-3D4C-404C-ACFD-516EBF0E290D.jpeg

Super Contributor

I make butternut squash soup a few times in the winter.  I buy the cubed up squash from the big box store. problem solved, LOL

Respected Contributor

@Ladybug724 

My tip is BEFORE you cut or peel anything, even an apple, 

Make sure you create a FLAT surface so your fruit or vegetable will not slip.

If you peel top down, cut the bottom of the squash, 

if you peel side to side, cut a small piece off to have a flat surface.

Avoid slippage with a towel underneath, silicone mat or anything that is not slippery.

It's the "slips" that move the knife and that's an easy way to cut yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 

Use the same cutting technique as if you were cutting a pineapple.  

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

The kids and I grew butternut squash this year. We love making butternut squash fries! They're even better than sweet potato fries, honestly.

But what's an easy way to peel and cut them? They are really thick and difficult to peel and cut. I have a good knife and it still is not easy!

Any tips?

this is one thing where it's worth paying to have it done for you! 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Ladybug724 BE CAREFUL!  Honestly?  I've never found them easy but be sure they do not roll!  That's my biggest tip.

I'm sure there are videos, but you need a good stable sturdy knife for sure!  And SOME of them you can use a veggie peeler to help with the skin, but some are too hard for that. 

I bought my first one this Fall. Cut the bottom and top off, it was easy then to sit it up and cut. I had a recipe followed it to a tee, it came out perfect and was beautiful to look at.  Baked in the oven, didn't have to peel it. Took two bites, and threw it out. I love acorn squash, but thumbs down on  butter nut. Sorry, just had to tell this.

Respected Contributor

With my hands? No thank you. I buy it already cubed.