Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Thoughts On The All Clad?

I have collected AllClad for years.  Amazon prices are great on a starter set.  You want to buy a set with an 8 quart stock pot.  WS has the most products, and good sales.  

Regular Contributor

I just googled AC and found reviews in Consumer Reports site - the COSTCO tri ply set is rated higher and at a much lower price.  

Honored Contributor

Anyone have any of the d5 brushed all-clad? I would like a nice set of it. I'm passing on Q. I don't know if it was made just for Q so I don't think it's the same?

Contributor

I saw where they have that set on the all-clad website.

Esteemed Contributor

Sur la Table has a similar 10pc set of tri ply but it's $200 more. No Costco near me. I'll check Amazon for their offerings. Macy's has a set at the same pricepoint. 

Stockpots, currently I have a 6qt and 8qt. The 6 qt gets more use for soups & stews. The 4qt's get the most weekly use.

My Farberware is USA made. Bought it in the '90's before they shipped production overseas.

Gotten so much use from this investment, was worth every penny.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Anyone have any of the d5 brushed all-clad? I would like a nice set of it. I'm passing on Q. I don't know if it was made just for Q so I don't think it's the same?

I have a d5 Essential pan. It is a nice deep pan with a helper handle. I brought a 4Qt size. It is heavy. You will enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

WS should have a video on their site "talking" about this line.

Honored Contributor

Ooh, I bet the 'brushed' version is stunning.

As everybody has already said - AllClad is the best.  You cannot beat it.

I have not seen the upcoming TSV, so I cannot comment on that.  If it is indeed made in the US, that's a good sign.  It's an extremely reputable company so I'd like to think that they aren't lowering the standards to crank out tens of thousands of them for this sale.

Somebody mentioned the price at $499.  If this is a whole set of pots/pans, that sounds positively reasonable.

Like others here, I don't purchase sets.   I like to just get pieces of whatever (cookware, knives, etc) that are the pieces I am most likely to use.  I also think that you get even better quality manufacturing with most items that are purchased individually.

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy

If your Farberware still performs and looks good, I would continue to use it. We forget that for many years, FW was the top of the line. When my mom passed I donated her set to a women's shelter. She used those pots and pans heavily for many years, yet they still looked new. Mind you, Mom would immediately put her pans to soak while we were eating, so washing them was never a chore.

Now, to get your "toes wet" with All Clad you could always try the smaller frying pan, but you may want to consider a sm and med frying pan, perhaps as a set. You could hold off until bridal shower time for the June brides, when you should see a sale or two. I wholeheartedly agree with the earlier poster to make sure every unit of the TSV will be used in your kitchen before making the purchase. Open stock, although the outlay seems prohibitive, turns out to be an excellent buy when you use all the pieces frequently. The TSV may find some pieces rarely used. For example, the idea of holding a hot pan of food by 2 small metal handles is not in my wheelhouse.

Happy Cooking (as Jacques would say),

dee

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy

Forgot to mention this about your worn out pieces of Farberware. I assume you are talking about the handles. You could probably find replacements on the internet, most likely on eBay. Your older pans that perform beautifully and look like new would be useable, then!

dee

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I can't tell that much difference between the tri-ply and the D5 except the D5 seems heavier.  I am not a huge fan of the brushed finished because I think it is harder to keep looking nice.