Honored Contributor

Re: Any Chain Restaurants that you never go to?

Mothertrucker wrote:

Olive Garden  (here in So Cal, the food is terrible)

Outback (though it used to be good and we loved it!)

Red Lobster( I wanted to like it, but have NEVER had a good experience there)

No, never got sick at any of them, just not good food!

Tam - Our Outback also used to be very good.  For quite a few years it was very good - good quality products and good preparation.  Then it went bad.  It seemed like they started getting cheaper meat or something but the difference was profound!

Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Occasionally we go to Maggiano's or Cheesecake Factory with our grandchildren, but otherwise we do not go to chain restaurants.

Our Grands love chain restaurants so we bite the bullet when we have them.  If it's just the 2 of us, the only chain we do by the choice is Five Guys. Sometimes when traveling we have no choice but to patronize a chain.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

A friend insisted we go to Crackerbarrel once and the food was gross. I'm not a pickey eater by

any estimation, but I just hated that food. To make matters worse, it was so loud we couldn't

hear ourselves talk.

@QVCkitty1

Couldn't agree more.  Went to the Cheesecake Factory once and nearly left with laryngitis, the noise level there was so incredibly loud.

Last Father's Day took my husband to Crackerbarrel for brunch, based on recs from a number of friends.  The food was so bad I was apologizing for the remainder of the day.  Junk - pure junk.

I should have taken him to Denny's, where he could have had his hash browns, two eggs, 2 bacon and English muffin, plus coffee.  He would have been quite happy with that.

Respected Contributor

I don't go to any chain restaurants...ever!  Never have and hopefully never will!

Esteemed Contributor

Won't patronize an Arby's.  Hadn't been to one, but had a work friend who grabbed a hamburger and fries on the way home from work.  Long story short, her hamburger patty had a piece of spiraled metal in it which tore a hole in her small intestine. To make matters worse her HMO docs said she had a UTI, so a near fatal infection was allowed to fester.  She was administered Last Rites 3 times and lost quite a bit of small intestine. 

Having just about recovered from this horrible incident, she was diagnosed with breast cancer...

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Oh my gosh, all these bad cracker barrel reviews.............it's my favorite place to go when I just want breakfast food or some down home cooking!  LOL

This made me smile.   Where I used to work when we would be deciding to go to lunch all the woman wanted to go to CB to get a nice, home cooked meal and all of the guys would say "well I can get that at home" . . . needless to say I ate lunch with a lot of women . . . Smiley Happy

I also used to call in ahead to grab a dinner for my mom.  It was tough finding things she liked to eat and she really liked their turkey dinner so when that was the special of the day I would bring one home.  I like CB and wish there was one closer to my house.

Honored Contributor

SF - Youch!  What a horrible experience.    Smiley Sad

I was never a fan of Arby's (or Arfby's as we always called it).  That 'beef' never really seemed too much like beef to me.  It was a weird color and texture.  Haven't been there for decades.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We like PF Chang's, Pappadeaux and Pappasito's. We mostly take company to those places.

I occasionally crave an In-n-Out Burger. DH likes Popeye's chicken. And Blaze Pizza - a new place.

Otherwise, we generally avoid chain restaurants. I think they can be good or bad, based on management and service.

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream

Forgot about In-N-Out Burgers.  The hamburger of my youth!  I no longer live in California and I probably haven't had one in over 20 years. 

Respected Contributor

Applebee's.  The last time I went there, I ordered a "burger medium".  Waitress asks me "do you want it pink or not pink?"  I looked at her for a second in stunned silence  I said again, "I want a burger medium".  She says "we can only do it pink or not pink".  I said "OK pink".  I've been ordering burgers for decades and have NEVER had that response.  I decided to vote with my feet the next time I eat out.