Honored Contributor

Re: Any Chain Restaurants that you never go to?

My husband got so sick after eating at Red Lobster yrs. ago and we have never been back. Both ends of him was running full steam. I think somebody came in sick that day that shouldn't had been working and he picked up some kind of bad e coli or virus. He even missed a days work !

he got the seafood platter and I got the salmon I was Ok.

I got ahold of some bad onion rings one time at a mom & pop place and I didn't have to diet that week. ROFL No more onion rings for me.

Violent_sterb246.gif

Trusted Contributor

Chilis, Buffalo Wild Wings, Olive Garden, Red Lobster...  you name it!  Ugh!  Can you say too much salt???  I have to watch my salt intake and most all chain restaurants menus are loaded with salt.  I actually like The Cheesecake Factory for their skinnylicious menu - it's very good, but the hardest part (of course) is not getting that piece of cheesecake!   My husband and I normally frequent a few local favorite restaurants in our city when we go out to eat. 

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I don't like eating out .... Period especially chain restaurants! It's mainly because I love to cook and am a pretty good one at that!

We have friends (snowbirds) who eat out every nite from McDonalds to any chain restaurant!😳

My problem is I wonder how long that food sits, how it's cooked and really how fresh it is. The last chain we went to was Bonefish -- ugh very small portion and extremely overpriced! Sadly, I have over $300 in gc's sitting in my closet for: Bonefish, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Carrabas, Chilis and Red Lobster -- I can see they will be a regift!!!!

I have sold my unwanted gift cards at cardpool.com  They are very legitimate.  I've sold a lot.  Just thought I'd mention it if you were interested.

New Contributor

I read Board of Health reviews for local restaurants & make my choices that way. Cleanliness, etc. varies widely ... No food poisoning for me...
Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

There is a midwest chain called Green Mill, got sick there years ago and that was that! Never again.

@Jacie

Oh my gosh, Jacie, Green Mill is one of my favorite happy hour haunts and   has been along with colleagues for a very long time.   Maybe it depends on location? I only go to the Uptown location and love the diversity it offers. Well, I have been to the Hamline & Grand location, but it doesn't have the same vibe.  

Sorry you had such a disappointing experience and in full disclosure I have never eaten their pizza.  

@magicmoodz  Sorry to say it was the Uptown location! AND it was pizza, so maybe you will be safe! I used to live a couple blocks from there and went one night with roomies. UGH. Awful! Glad to hear the vibe is still great!

@Jacie

I really do get how a bad experience can leave a lasting bad taste in your mouth!   We have a group of friends spread all over the Twin Cities and find that meeting after work for happy hour is the best way to stay connected.  I have to say my favorite place is connected to an upscale hotel, but Green Mill ranks second place! Opposite ends of the spectrum but a favorite nonetheless.  

Honored Contributor

Applebee's because they didn't put anything on the plate besides one piece of meat.  This was in Chicago area years ago.  I asked if they could at least garnish the plate with a piece of lettuce, no, that's the way they served it, period.  Never been back. 

Chili's because I once had lunch there and the whole place smelled like rotten raw hamburger.  Never been back.

Cracker Barrel because we ended up eating Thanksgiving dinner there the year my husband had to work overtime that day.  The turkey was that chopped and formed stuff.  Never been back.

Perkins because the waitress argued with one party of our foursome and told her she had made the mistake on the order, not the waitress herself.  She refused to replace the item.  Had it been my meal, I would have asked for the manager, but my friends were more timid.   Never been back.

Can you see a theme here?  You only have one chance to make a good impression on me.  Blow it and you lose me forever. 

Respected Contributor

Taco Bell, Red Lobster, pretty much all of them. I love to cook and prefer quality.

but sometimes I crave KFC or BK or McD. That's it.

Honored Contributor

About twenty years ago there were four of us eating at Red Lobster and three out of four of us found hair on our plate.  I was the only one who did not or the only one who just did not see it.  My brother called the manager over and asked him if he had a Barber Shop in business in the back?  

I could not believe they did not comp our meal since we showed all three hairs but you could hear loud voices coming from the kitchen.  Maybe that is why they are so pricey for all the "extras" you get.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't go out to eat anymore, and haven't for a few years now.

But as to places that I would specifically NOT go to - for fast food it's McDonald's (so gross!!!) and I've only heard of that 'Cracker Barrel' place here so it must be very regional.

As for sit-down restaurants, I wouldn't go to Red Lobster or Sizzler - stuff like that.  I HAVE been to these places so I know for sure that they are not up to par for me, anyway.   Another pseudo-type place is that I didn't care for was the Olive Garden.    It's on the same caliber as the Red Lobster for me.  I love both seafood and Italian food but neither of those places properly represent.

Oh, and I also quite 'Papa John's Pizza' for some specific reasons of which I won't go into here.   (guy is a 'short for Richard')  Too bad, I miss it but I just won't do it.

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

Down here for some reason, never had a good steak at Outback. Tried it three times over the first few years here and never went back. Others in our area have been fine. Sunday is a no cook day and there are many options here, both chains and local. One thing I have discovered. When ordering a steak, make sure you tell them to use no extra spices.  

I agree. I find the steak to be so salty.