Respected Contributor

Re: Another reason I ❤ my Lock and Lock...

@chickenbutt This is different than what the microwave does...Which is also bad, but this seems maybe like something that really really hard water and heat causes..I only do top rack, and the Bosch doesn't even have heated dry..

I must be the only one who gets this..if I were home I would take some pics for ides from everyone..

We do have really hard water here,..that could be a factor...

thanks..happy new year!

Honored Contributor

Oh bummer.  Maybe it is the hard water.  Last time I tested ours it was somewhere in the middle, so not at all hard.  That might account for my experience being so different.

From what I understand, hard water causes a lot of problems.   You could always get a water softener, but you'd need one of those 'whole-house' deals.  I bet that costs a chunk-a-change.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I wish all you taco lovers lived nearby - I have lots left over!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine what my life would be like without L&L.  Occasionally I'll pull out a sheet of aluminum or Glad Wrap to cover a large dish or pan.  I always regret it when the frig starts smelling like those contents.  Better to move them into a L:&L. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm curious about why no one writes about being a fan of Glass-Lock and Snapware glass storage  containers.  I have two sets of these and use them as often as my Lock N Lock and for certain things, such as tomato-based sauces or stews/soups or vinegar-based foods, that I wouldn't store in plastic containers.  I use the glass in both the refrigerator and freezer, as well as the microwave.

Never have used  LL in the microwave.  Something about plastic and microwaving has always made me leery. 

I do always wash my LL in the dishwasher and then leave the lids off to air dry thoroughly around the silicone seal.  I don't know what I'd do without them for storing dry goods, cheese, salad greens, vegetables and more.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

I don't use my microwave, other than occasionally melting butter or chocolate, so I don't worry a lot about the plastic.  

I understand that glass is more hygenic, but I do lots of food transporting and the lighter weight of the plastic makes a difference.

Can you tell me if the glass items are leakproof? Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat

Yes, so far I've found the glass containers to be leakproof, and I check them occasionally for this. 

I agree they would be a lot to lug around, in contrast to  lightweight LL.  I definitely wouldn't carry my lunch to work in them.  Harder to snap shut, too, in the larger sizes, but that's not really a big deal. 

Super Contributor

I've switched over to glass as well.  I also got that pitting or whatever it is on the plastic L&L.  I did put them in the dishwasher, top rack, so maybe I caused it but I got tired of seeing those spots.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish I could find more of the hard plastic (Titan?) L&L. I want to get rid of all my etched regular L&L, but don't have enough of the good kind to do so.  The regular L&L stains, retains odors (although not as badly as silicone), and etches (looks as though I had cut my food inside the plastic).

I don't microwave in L&L, mostly wash dishes by hand, rarely use the dishwasher, but do have very hard water. 

Im not interested in the glass containers because they are heavy and fear accidents when washing it, or removing from the fridge with wet hands.

House_cat, great photo!

Respected Contributor

I am somewhat relieved to hear of others who have the pitting whitening problem..I was beginning to think it was just me..Seems like maybe a combo of dishwasher and hard water...