Regular Contributor
On 3/18/2014 PinkSugar said:

Love them on saltines for lunch.

My mother has made a similar snack/appetizer in the past. Saltine crackers, a little mayo, and top with a slice or few pieces of red pimiento (from the small jar) and a 1/2 or 1/3rd piece of anchovy. I could eat a dozen of 'em in a row. YUM!

By the way, I noticed that all anchovy brands are not created equal. Some brands are yucky or quite too salty. So if you had a bad experience with one, you might want to give another brand a try.

Super Contributor

Only on a Caesar Salad!

Super Contributor

Don't buy anchovies in tins. Buy in jars. Also, they are preserved several ways. In jars, packed in salt, they have far better taste than the ones preserved in vinegar in tins. Either way, all of our kids call 'em BAIT. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} But all of them do eat them in prepared dishes; just not on pizza in a restaurant, as restaurants use the tinned ones that smell fishy and don't have a true anchovy taste.

For the most part, you should never actually 'see' an anchovy. If properly used in a recipe, they melt and are invisible and DO NOT TASTE FISHY. EVER. They just add flavor and a meaty taste to dishes.

Have been making deviled eggs with anchovies all my life. At pot lucks, mine are the ones eaten first. Especially by two ladies who insist they NEVER eat anchovies. Right. Also use anchovies in many sauces and dressings.

Caesar salad was NEVER made with anchovies, only Worcestershire sauce.

Regular Contributor

Ladies this is awesome. I cook some Hot Italian Sausage and some bacon on the side, then add the sausage to the sauce. When I'm ready to serve, I put the crumbled bacon on top. Of course, you can use any meat you like or no meat at all. It's all good!

Pasta Puttanesca

Prep Time: 10 min

Inactive Prep Time: --

Cook Time: 15 min

Level: Easy

Serves: 4 servings

Ingredients

• 1 pound uncooked rotelle pasta (or any spiral shape)
  • Puttanesca Sauce:*
  • 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup pitted Greek (kalamata) olives, halved
  • 3 tablespoons drained capers
  • 2 teaspoons anchovies
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup red wine, optiona)
  • 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan

Directions

*Cooks note: this amount of sauce makes enough for 3 pasta meals and enough for 4 Quick Fix dinners based on pasta puttanesca. If you are only making this recipe, the extra sauce can be frozen for up to 3 months.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, salt, and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Add the wine and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.

Pour 2 cups of mixture over pasta and toss to combine. Top with Parmesan. Refrigerate or freeze remaining sauce until ready to use.

Super Contributor

Nay... My husband loves them...