Respected Contributor

Off the top of my head - 

~ My friend is getting TG food from Cracker Barrel this year. I'm sure there are places near you that offer this as well. 

~ Check the weather again and if it'll be warmer the Sunday before, for instance, have the get-together then instead.

~ Go to a park with picnic tables - no balancing on laps. If the sitting distance isn't enough for you, pull a couple tables together (not long-ways, make it like a square so you're sitting in a triangle).

Respected Contributor

Why make the food the most aspect of the visit? If possible take a long walk and give him food to take home. It's not the food it's the visit that is important.

Trusted Contributor

@dsw503 wrote:
Two ideas for you: 1. Buy a heat lamp--like they have on outdoor patios in colder climates. Maybe it would warm things up a bit. 2. Serve turkey sandwiches and T-Day leftovers. Make the meal for you and DH to enjoy the day before. My most memorable T-Days have been the ones with a variation on the traditional.

You are so right. We have years of traditional Thanksgivings. Do something different if you can. A friend of mine is going hiking with her kids and grandson at a state park and then tailgating. That sounds like fun to me. I am still planning the traditional as my 92 year old mother is not fond of anything outdoors in our cold climate. 

Valued Contributor

@PilatesLover 

Regardless of the meal, it sounds as though you did a wonderful job as a parent. You have a son that is concerned about your health and is thinking outside the box to spend time with you. 

It sounds as though you have a wonderful relationship and should be proud of the man you raised! 

Honored Contributor

I think this is a good year for Zoom holidays.

Eating outdoors in 50 degree weather is less desirable than a video visit IMO.  Plus if you are sticking to the rules you would still need to be six feet apart eating outdoors.  

Respected Contributor

My opinion, Thanksgiving is NOT about being with family.

Thanksgiving is about being thankful for the blessings we have, which for many include having a loving family that we enjoy being with. And it includes having the blessing of having the sense to realize that this year perhaps the best way to show our love is to give the gift of distance from one another.

I commend your son on being concerned for your health. I think the time spent on an outdoor dinner, even in 50 degree weather, would be miserable. And think how quickly the food would get cold. Perhaps if he wants an outdoor visit on Thanksgiving, you limit it to dessert and hot coffee. Make his favorite pie and send him home with leftovers.

Respected Contributor

Rent

Rent 

Rent

Folding table(s)

Heat laps

Chairs with padding (I mean lets be real, without it would stink!)

Sterno and tray warmers

Respected Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

Rent

Rent 

Rent

Folding table(s)

Heat laps

Chairs with padding (I mean lets be real, without it would stink!)

Sterno and tray warmers

That's a good idea, but will they rent for what would be a such a small amount? Maybe a phone call would answer that. Whatever your family does, have a happy day.

Honored Contributor

I don't have any suggestions, other than to just stay home and stay safe!  I saw some people on t.v. the other day and a woman had recently lost her mother to the virus and she said --- please, people stay home for the holidays!  It's better to stay home and not celebrate one holiday season together and look forward to all the holiday seasons to celebrate in coming years, than it is to celebrate this season and have it be your last!!!

If you have the ability to skype or whatever, just have your separate meals and share it that way.  

I know everyone is upset because holidays are getting upset but my thinking is --- we have to be flexible.  No one is having an easy time and no one is really immune.  

We have to make alternate plans and try to celebrate in different ways and be happy that we are alive and here to celebrate at all!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Whatever you decide to do, please don't try to eat food on your lap. Trust me, it's a mess.Smiley Happy

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland