Honored Contributor

Re: Almond milk ??

[ Edited ]

All I buy is Silk unsweetened almond milk. I buy at least 3 of the 96 oz jugs at a time. I use a lot of it since I make smoothies with it pretty much every day.

I wanted to try the Oat Milk but they have sugar just like a lot of others do. It does not need the sugar.

I made hot chocolate with it last year. That's what I will be using this winter.

I use it when I make creamed corn so it's not so full of fat. I mix a little with flour to add to the corn with a little butter, salt & pepper. We both like it so that's all that matters.

I use it when a recipe calls for milk. Have not had any issues yet.

AllRecipes has some good info on alternative milks.

Google Non-Dairy Milks: Which Are Best for Baking?

It says you can also use them in place of Buttermilk just add a tsp of vinegar per 1/3 cup. I'm going to try that so I can stop buying Buttermilk.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz In case you want to try Oatmilk, Planet Oat has a version with no sugar.

Respected Contributor

Tks y'all!

My fiend who says it curdles, is not a reliable source. If something can be messed up, she will mess it up, lol. She is good as gold, but an accident waiting to happen. 

Respected Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

I've recently started drinking almond milk. Can you use it in cooking, just as regular milk? Gravy & such?? 

A friend of mind says it will curdle. I tend not to take her word, on some things. 

I like almond milk mostly in cereal.  I don't use it in anything else as I don't think it tastes as good (not rich enough).  Almond milk is thinner than whole milk.

I've never had it curdle as in cooking gravy for biscuits and gravy.  The white gravy (using almond milk), will look okay while cooking.  Then I pour it over the biscuits, turn around and it's super watery around the edges and disgusting.  It also doesn't work for pudding.  

Just my observation.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Nightowlz In case you want to try Oatmilk, Planet Oat has a version with no sugar.

@On It 

Thank you. I will have to look for it. I wanted to try it but when I checked how much sugar I went with the unsweetened almond milk.

Respected Contributor

@TX-starlight 

Almond milk is actually about 2% almonds and 98% water.

Can you cook with water, sure you can

Can you bake with it?  If the recipe calls for water, sure.

If you want to substitute for a milk product, no.

One of the most profitable products out there, the consumer is literally drinking water.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@TX-starlight 

Almond milk is actually about 2% almonds and 98% water.

Can you cook with water, sure you can

Can you bake with it?  If the recipe calls for water, sure.

If you want to substitute for a milk product, no.

One of the most profitable products out there, the consumer is literally drinking water.

Cow's milk is 87% water.

Trusted Contributor

I have not used cow's milk (🤢) for years. I have been successfully cooking with almond and soy milk. The only issue I've had is with pudding not setting up as other posters did mention.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt