Esteemed Contributor

Re: Allergy's, Do you have them?? is it a food issue??

I have always had allergies and they increased in categories and intensity with age. Basically, I am allergic to everything except animals (with the exception of mink) in some form. Seafood is my worst. Just the smell of it will put me in the ER. Food allergies are always tricky because they seem to cycle about every seven years in intensity. I have found that it's trial and error to determine what exactly you are allergic to in the food category. I've done those scratch tests and diaries about six times and that helps you eliminate if it's the food preparation or the food that is causing the reaction.

You also need to find a good allergist. Make sure the Dr. "listens" to what you have to say. It sounds like you will need some medication to help relieve some of your symptoms. The doctor office should be able to supply you with some booklets to get you started on adapting and coping with your allergies.

Be patient and Good Luck. You will get some relief with the correct information and medication.

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

Yes. I have allergies. And I didn't have them, really, until I started having children. And they've gotten WAY worse over the past 4-5 years. Allegra manages the day to day for me, but I also get some anxiety and sleep disturbances from allergy meds so I really have to watch it. I also take a script nasal spray AND Sudafed--on the really bad days.

Since I've been eating extra healthy, really watching my calories, and lost just a bit of weight, however, my sinus allergies have gotten much better. Coincidence? I really don't think so. I really do believe that extra weight exacerbates everything. On the metabolic level and physically, of course.

Someone in my family has some moderate oral allergies. They aren't at risk for anaphylaxis (sp?), but they are a big annoyance.

Hope you feel better. I would highly suggest seeing an allergist AND an ENT. My GP could only do so much for me.

Valued Contributor

I think it was the room, iv never had it so bad, I'm taking allergy meds everyday!!

my eyes and feet are swollen, it that normal?

I also just feel not sick like a fever or anything.. just yuk feeling!

Brittany

Honored Contributor

Brittany,

I definitely think you need to seek medical help with this issue. My daughters have itchy, red eyes with spring allergies, but their eyes are never swollen, and I do not associate swollen feet with allergies, period. Also, the general feeling of yuckiness means something is definitely going on, and I think this warrants a trip to a 24 hour clinic or an emergency room. You will feel better once you know what you are dealing with. My concern is also based on your statement that there were issues with the air for that room. Please get checked ASAP. Wishing you well!

Trusted Contributor

Instead of soliciting the opinions of others on a shopping forum, the OP needs o see a physician. This could be something other than an allergy and much of the advice given thus far has been anecdotal and pseudo-scientific driven, copied and pasted from junk science websites. Seriously, if the OP is having an issue, see someone who has the training and knowledge to help.

Super Contributor

Yes, I have developed food intolerances/ maybe full allergies. My eyes have swelled many times because of something I ate. I've also had the bottom of my feet swell after eating. Sometimes I can figure out what the cause was other times I have no idea because it's the same food I'd eaten several days prior with no reaction. A benadryl usually resolves the swelling and reaction.

I've also become very sensitive to smell/odors. After my first child I lost my sense of smell. When it finally came back, years later, I could only smell bad odors and was ultra sensitive to them.

I would have it checked out by a doctor but I will forewarn you that my visits have been less than successful since my problem is sporadic and doesn't happen every time I eat the product. I had one doctor tell me I was allergic to everything I'd ever eaten and just don't eat those items and a second opinion tell me I wasn't allergic to anything. One doctor did a blood test and one a skin test. So this summer my goal is to get a third opinion.

Honored Contributor

On 5/25/2014 Britbrit13 said:

This all started I have been out of town sitting in a murder trial and iv been staying in a motel , I think maybe that was it,,, im just not sure...The air didn't work the 3rd week as well as before..I wonder if that was it!!

Britt

every time I stay in a hotel I get a headache, they don't ever clean the filters. When you get home you will feel better

Trusted Contributor

I used to get terrible hayfever and seasonal allergies this time of year. I was always miserable, even though taking Zyrtec. This year (February) I cut out all gluten and dairy. I have not had any allergies at all this season! My sinuses are clear and I was always going around with a stuffed up nose. I have not had to use my Nasacort once this year. It has to be from eliminating one (or both) from my diet.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I don't have any food allergies, per se, but I have noticed the few times that I ate seafood from Southeast Asia (obviously not realizing it was from there until afterward), I got this itchy throat and a little bit of throat closing.

Once I had a bunch of shrimp from SE Asia and once I realized this I was bummed because I still had a bunch left and I hate waste. So, before I cooked any more of it, I just absolutely hardcore washed the heck out of it and it was not as bad.

Trusted Contributor

I have lots of food and drug allergies. I also have a salicylate sensitivity which doesn't show up in allergy tests. If your eyes and ""feet"" are swelling you may have something called angioedema which could be allergy or autoimmune related. You should really find yourself a good allergist/immunologist and get both allergy and blood tests to see if its something else. There are several autoimmune illnesses that have the similar symptoms to allergies but they can become a lot worse.