Frequent Contributor

All Clad Tri OR All Clad COPPER Core???

Looking for those that have/use the All Clad Copper Core; what are the differences and is it worth the extra $$$? Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: All Clad Tri OR All Clad COPPER Core???

Actually when I saw the TSV I was kinda happy because at my age (and the fact that my cats don't eat human food) and the fact that I eat out at least 4 times a week.....I have absolutely no need for anymore pots and pans.

I knew I would be bored but at least not tempted to buy much offered today.  Yea!

I don't know the difference.  I do own a lot of Wolfgang Puck's pans and some QVC pans and many aren't the no-stick kind and I do know that food does not stick to them either.

Trusted Contributor

I have both versions.  The copper core is just that.  It has a layer of copper bonded with the other metals. Therefore making it have more even heat distribution.  It does make the cookware more heavy.  But for me just being an average cook I don't see any difference.  I would not spend the extra money to buy a set of them.  TjMaxx and Marshalls and Homegoods usually has a lot of stock pieces of both.  That's where I got all my pieces.  But the TSV they are offering today is a really good price.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm an everyday cook & baker meaning I cook every day and bake weekly.

The tri ply is a great set at a great price. If you're needing restaurant quality then I would choose the heavier copper core.

Frequent Contributor

I was wondering--I understand that All Clad also makes a line of 5-ply cookware so I'm sure that's even more expensive.  Would the 5-ply be a good option for casual home cooks at the higher price or would the 3-ply cookware set be a more useful option?  I also plan to check TJ Maxx and other discounters homeware sections.

Honored Contributor

I have some D5 and several pieces of the copper--and I don't see THAT much difference from my old tri-ply EXCEPT if you are cooking over a really hot hot burner.  If you have a high output stove or cooktop you might want the heavier pieces.

Otherwise, get the pieces you think you will use often at a good price. 

Honored Contributor

I'd buy 3mm copper pots if I wanted copper. The layer of copper in the copper core doesn't compare. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Mardie wrote:

I was wondering--I understand that All Clad also makes a line of 5-ply cookware so I'm sure that's even more expensive.  Would the 5-ply be a good option for casual home cooks at the higher price or would the 3-ply cookware set be a more useful option?  I also plan to check TJ Maxx and other discounters homeware sections.

I own a couple pieces of the d5 but I don't have any All Clad tri-ply so I can't compare them. I do own tri-ply in another brand but just in stock pots. I do like my d5 though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

@KarenBlixen wrote:

Looking for those that have/use the All Clad Copper Core; what are the differences and is it worth the extra $$$? Thanks in advance!

Better heat control with the Copper Core - but much more expensive. Is it worth it? Hard to determine for someone else. Check this page on the All-Clad site to compare the different lines http:// www.  all-clad.com/ Collections (delete spaces in the URL).

Copper-Core is the premium All-Clad collection. It is cookware for true connoisseurs, with a patented 5-ply construction that provides the ultimate cooking performance. A central core of copper, the metal that best conducts heat, is surrounded by two layers of aluminum, and two exterior layers of 18/10 stainless steel, the metal that provides the finest cooking surface. A revolution in cookware technology, Copper-Core truly offers the best of all possible worlds.  The new Copper Core collection can be used on an induction hob.

The 3-ply line that QVC sells is the cheapest All-Clad line there is. Personally when I started getting some All-Clad cookware, I didn't want the set as sets usually come with pots or pans rarely used. I felt it was better to choose just the items I wanted. I have some copper core and some d5. 

Respected Contributor

When I bought my 1st piece of All-Clad (a 6 qt covered deep saute pan with helper handle) I think the only type available had brushed exteriors, I think it was called Master Chef.