Honored Contributor

I know soup mixes are not the healthiest , and I often make my own.  However, my favorite  soup mix  is Alessi , and my favorite flavor is Pasta Fazool , it is hearty and delicious. Another good one is Zappa Toscana, a white bean and pasta with a creamier broth. This is certainly the weather for it, and when you are low on fresh ingredients, these soups are just the thing.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I haven't had Alessi but have heard they are good.  I have a few "Bear Creek" soup mixes in the pantry; bought them a couple years ago when they were on sale and I didn't know much about them  Then I learned they were so high in sodium; two cups of prepared minestrone contains 72% of the daily value.  I guess I should donate them to the food pantry.  But you're right - they're good in a pinch.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I haven't had Alessi but have heard they are good.  I have a few "Bear Creek" soup mixes in the pantry; bought them a couple years ago when they were on sale and I didn't know much about them  Then I learned they were so high in sodium; two cups of prepared minestrone contains 72% of the daily value.  I guess I should donate them to the food pantry.  But you're right - they're good in a pinch.

@ValuSkr , The bear Creek is tasty, but a little too salty for my taste. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr If not good for you - not good for the down and out.  Toss them.

I've also had a packet in the cupboard for 3 years - if that salty = I'll do the same.........Toss it,  

Regular Contributor

I love the Lentil and pasta. We don't have this brand where I am now so Ordered a bunch from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Re: Alessi Soup Mix

[ Edited ]

There is a wonderful soup mix with no additives I ran into at a craft show.  They had hot crocks of all of their soups and stews.

You can add your own sauteed vegetables, cream, and other things or just heat up in a rush.  

They also have stew and dip kits.

I love the potato soup mix and add my own onions, celery, and about two potatoes to their dehydrated ones add the liquid called for -done!

I don't have to think about thickening or anything else.

The brand name is Darby Creek from Rand Hill Farms

French onion, Asparagus, many choices.  Add things OR NOT if your're stuck in.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

There is a wonderful soup mix with no additives I ran into at a craft show.  They had hot crocks of all of their soups and stews.

You can add your own sauteed vegetables, cream, and other things or just heat up in a rush.  

They also have stew and dip kits.

I love the potato soup mix and add my own onions, celery, and about two potatoes to their dehydrated ones add the liquid called for -done!

I don't have to think about thickening or anything else.

The brand name is Darby Creek from Rand Hill Farms

French onion, Asparagus, many choices.  Add things OR NOT if your're stuck in.

@ECBG  I will look for the Darby Creek as like others, I tried the BearCreek and oh my word .... ballooned up from the high levels of sodium. Thought I was being so good eating broccoli cheddar soup w/ added fresh broccoli. Ugh. Live and learn the hard way. I love soup, but sometimes it's hard to find the time to make from scratch.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: Alessi Soup Mix

[ Edited ]

Should you ever want to try your hand at from-scratch pasta fazool, I have a tasty recipe:

2 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained

1 cup water

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

2 onions, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

1 rib celery, chopped

2 oz bacon, chopped

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 tbsp tomato paste

4 tsp minced garlic

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup elbow macaroni

1 cup grated Parmesan

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

Puree 1 can beans and water in blender.

Heat oil in saucepan.  Stir in onions, carrot, celery, bacon, salt, and pepper until softened.  Stir in tomato paste and garlic for a couple of minutes.  Stir in broth, pureed beans, and can of whole beans.  Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Bring to boil and stir in macaroni until al dente.  Off heat, stir in Parmesan and basil.

Super Contributor

Please share your recipe for the homeade soup.  Thank you. 

Super Contributor

Thank you for sharing.