Esteemed Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Hubby was gassing up my car at BJ's and he said he wanted to go inside for a case of Vitamin Water.  I told him to check the Aldi's brand, so we went.

He had a field day!  Mind you, he's been to the store before.  He had his list in his head, found everything and was very impressed with the price at check out. 

I got my lunch items (fresh meats including my little chicken, frozen veggies and fresh fruit) for the week, and he was impressed by that as well.  I also got rugs for the bathroom for $10.  And they are good quality!

I am at Aldi's every week now.  Hubby actually liked that shopping trip; that's a first for him!

Oh, I love their "non-food" items too! A couple of months ago I got a digital food thermometer for $4.99. It has a magnet on it with a long cord so you can put it into your food in the oven and set the temp for how hot you want it. It beeps when ready. I had priced these elsewhere and they run anywhere from $15-$30. What a deal. I also picked up a set of silicone bakewear. It came with one for muffins, a loaf pan, 2 round cake pans and a silicone baking mat like the "sil pat" ones. They whole set cost $9.99. I can't even get the silpat baking mat for under $15!! I was thrilled!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Irish, I can't even find a good stick meat thermometer for under $10, much less a digital one.  You got some great deals there.

Hubby loves cheesecake.  His mission is to find the best in class for taste, price and availability.  He picked up some cheesecake slices yesterday in the fridge where the frozen items are.  Last night he said those slices outranked every slice of cheesecake he's ever had.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Irish, that was a great score on that thermometer.  I thought I got a great deal on one of Amazon's Lightning Deal but that blew it away!

Honny, I just got back from Aldi and mine doesn't carry the kale pattiest but I managed to find many other things.  For lunch today I'll be having their sweet and sour chicken.  I also was able to grab one of the last boxes of the potstickers but couldn't find the sauces unfortunately.  Bought tons of cheeses and stock up stuff.  For dessert I bought a box of their cherry yogurt smoothie ice cream bars, I just couldn't leave them there.  They were next to the cheesecakes and they looked delicious!

It never ceases to amaze me that you can have a whole conveyor belt of stuff and still blow through the line in less than a minute!

Honored Contributor

They have a bread called Sourdough Square that's really good. You can cut a slice in half to make a sandwich or to use for toast. I hope they keep it in stock. It's really good. Makes yummy toast with homemeade peach jam. I may try french toast using it this weekend.

Honored Contributor

I didn't see the Sourdough Bread square, I'll have to check next time (or I was too distracted by all the brioche bread products . . . yum!).

Speaking of yum, those Cherry Smoothie ice cream bars are the best!  Really delicious and very refreshing . . . Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

The red cabbage, in a jar, with apple tastes just like what my Grandmother made.

Ham prices are great at Aldi's also.

Bought a beautiful Baby book , in pink, for my grandson &wife for my Great geranddaughter's pictures, Had pages inside for all kinds of things, weight,, first words, etc. $12.00.

Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

mtc, the kale veggie burgers were the special for last week.  They were in the "Get Them While You Can" freezer.

I saw the sauces on an end cap by the fresh meats, not on the regular shelves.

Let us know how the Sweet and Sour Chicken is!  I still kind of want to try the frozen sushi.

It's funny you mention the speed of the line.  The lady in front of us yesterday had two carts of items.  We started putting our cart on the belt when the cashier started ringing her up.  By the time we were done, and we didn't have a lot of items, so was she.  That was pretty fast!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

The sweet and sour chicken was good (really liked the sauce) but I prefer Trader Joe's version a bit more.  Their breading is lighter and to me the chicken has more flavor but Aldi's comes with a ton of chicken and for $4.99 it's a really good deal.

I'm going to save the leftover sauce to use as a dipping sauce for the potstickers.

And those Cherry Smoothie ice cream bars are the bomb.  They are a nice size and really, really delicious.  I am going back for more of those, maybe tomorrow!

I looked for tater tots but I didn't see any there.  I thought Aldi's carried them.  Does anyone know for sure?

Respected Contributor

mtc - I've never seen tater tots, but I saw the crispy potato circles (seasoned shredded potatoes) on special for next week.  I've had them before, very similar to tots, except they're little disks.  30 oz. for $1.89.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

mtc - I've never seen tater tots, but I saw the crispy potato circles (seasoned shredded potatoes) on special for next week.  I've had them before, very similar to tots, except they're little disks.  30 oz. for $1.89.

Oh thank you so much for this, they'll fit better in the waffle iron . . . tee hee!