Honored Contributor

Re: Aldi is Fixing Its Greatest Weakness...opening many new U.S. stores

@Topaz Gem

I hope you like it!

We had a false start years ago.  I took my husband and he was like - yuck!  He didn't like the fact that you walk in and its's not looking like our typical supemarket.  And they don't bag your groceries for you.  Big deal.  You pay a quarter for a cart and when you check out, your items are placed in the cart.  You then walk over to a long counter and bag your items in bags which your bring or you buy some there.  Then when you're done, you simply return the cart and your quarter pops back to you.  

We returned years later --- I made him try it again.  Now, he loves it!!!

Most foods are their brands --- not all.  But this is a huge savings.  They have a great selection of fruits and vegetables and so much cheaper!  

They put out a flyer every week with featured items.  And you never know what items they will have each week.  They may have throw rugs, toys, pot and pans, flowers --- oh -- and they have really nice flowers and so cheap!!! 

It's not a big store, but they pack a lot into it.  

It is not fancy at all but you will save a lot of money.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I know many people are just finding Aldi's for the first time, or have been shopping there for just a few years.

We have had one in our area for at least 25 years, maybe longer, and I have shopped there that long as well.

Our first store was small, and after a few years, not very clean or nice. Most of the Aldi's back in the day were in lower income areas. Around here, it was more like a store marketed to people of lesser incomes, and placed in areas that were accessible to people living in lower income areas. I know that is how they got their less than stellar reputation in my neck of the woods.

Despite that, you would see some very expensive cars in the lot, and I know a number of people who could afford to go anywhere, liked the savings they could find at Aldi's.

Several years ago, they built a new and bigger store, out in the more affluent shopping district, extended their hours (at one time they closed at like 7:00, and were closed on Sunday) and added a  lot more merchandise. 

Prices have risen over the years, to the point where if you watch the national brands sales, you can pick up most canned goods elsewhere for the same price as Aldi's everyday prices, but choose a national brand instead. 

I still like the store, especially the size. There is a great selection and not miles of walking to get the things you need. 

I can't do all my shopping there, as they don't carry certain things or sometimes there is a specific brand of something I like and it isn't available there. They still sell mostly house and off brand foods. 

I don't like their shift to general merchandise, it just kind of clogs the aisles and reduces the  space that is available for grocery choices. I don't think they needed to go the route of Walmart, trying to get everything under one roof. I wish they had stuck the grocery only.

One of the big reasons I shop there is that the store is small (relative to the mega stores), easy in and out, and their lines move with lightening speed. 

I have never been a one store shopper. I spread my shopping out over three or fours stores in our area. I shop the sales, mostly, and some stores carry certain things I can only find there. While I don't run to four stores in one day anymore, I will hit different stores for different sales or needs as they arise.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, @Mominohio What great posts you each made here.  I love that your hubby Ms Angel, really came around to try your Aldi again.  I think it's really fun to go once a week to see what new items - or old favs, they've moved in.  DH & I find really tasty things there, items you won't find elsewhere even at the big stores.

It's so easy to go through Aldi's, in & out and fast too.

And Ms Mom, you know I'm also from the Buckeye State and yes, we have had our Aldi's for years.  In the beginning they weren't the best looking but they have come a long way. 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, @Mominohio What great posts you each made here.  I love that your hubby Ms Angel, really came around to try your Aldi again.  I think it's really fun to go once a week to see what new items - or old favs, they've moved in.  DH & I find really tasty things there, items you won't find elsewhere even at the big stores.

It's so easy to go through Aldi's, in & out and fast too.

And Ms Mom, you know I'm also from the Buckeye State and yes, we have had our Aldi's for years.  In the beginning they weren't the best looking but they have come a long way. 

@PINKdogWOOD

Hey to another Buckeye!

I've been shopping at Aldi's for so long that I remember when a box of saltine crackers was only 29 cents, and I think their soups weren't much more than that!

I certainly realize that prices are up everywhere, but every time I look at saltine crackers (in any store, but especially a 'regular' grocery) and I see the prices, I about choke. In my mind (feeble as it is!!) they should still be 29 cents.

Honored Contributor

It isn't a store for me.  I don't like the inconvenience of the basket silliness, don't know what I'm buying, and they don't have many of the things on my list.  They have too many snacks, non-food items and things I've never heard of and don't want.  I would be in there reading every label and trying to see where it came from.

We cook mostly from scratch, so we aren't big on boxed mixes and such, which they also have a lot of.  So if you are like me and are out to buy known products from a list, lots regular produse, get all the stuff and go home, it is not a good investment of time. 

Super Contributor

@MominOHIO   said .....

Hey to another Buckeye!

I've been shopping at Aldi's for so long that I remember when a box of saltine crackers was only 29 cents, and I think their soups weren't much more than that!

I used to work for Nabisco when Saltines were 49 cents, Oreos 69 cents !!

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

@milkbone wrote:

@PINKdogWOODMominOHIO   said .....

Hey to another Buckeye!

I used to work for Nabisco when Saltines were 49 cents, Oreos 69 cents !!

@milkbone

Oh the good old days!!! Are we showing our age?

Super Contributor

I believe I'm right when I say Aldi's started in Germany.  That's where my brother first started going several years ago. Since then, back home, he says he goes about once a week to see what's new. He and his wife are pleased with a lot of the products and have passed on their recommendations to me.  I LOVE the imported chocolate bars, but now only a memory since I've cut out sugar. Lol

Demitra