Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alberti & Mary Beth to host ITKWD this week

I really enjoyed Alberti!

Alberti did a great job.  He made the show enjoyable, entertaining - and, he did it all by himself.  I get annoyed when they have another host on with David - imho it's just to kill time.

I found the show went by all too quickly; and we didn't have to suffer thru one or two TSV presentations!!

Honored Contributor

When left alone in the kitchen shows -- Gourmet Holiday or ITKWD -- Alberti is fabulous!  The problem is he gets highly ramped up and so loud & over the top when he's paired with Rachel in the Gourmet shows.

But subbing for David's ITKWD is a perfect gig for Alberti.  Great job!

Trusted Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@NYwoman   I have to disagree with you that the Kitchen shows should only be hosted by people that can cook.  If you think about it, they don't "cook" as in the shows on Food Network.  Here they sell pots and pans, small appliances, utensils, dishes, storage items and prepared food that YOU cook or reheat. The vendors do most of any cooking and that is not much.  Other than the small portion of Davids show at the beginning where he shows what ingredients go into something (he doesn't cook it on the show) there is no cooking per se.    Just my opinionWoman Indifferent

I totally diagree with you.   In order to discribe the uses of kitchen equiptment and how to cook with it, you NEED cooking experience.   It shows!  As does the lack of vocabulary in describing food and its presentation, care, preparation, teste, cooking, ingredients, etc.   It's like a blind person describing a painting!   

A host in a cooking show must be able to know the uses of a piece of equipment and be believable.  Experience shows.  And so does vacuousness.  

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@NYwoman   I have to disagree with you that the Kitchen shows should only be hosted by people that can cook.  If you think about it, they don't "cook" as in the shows on Food Network.  Here they sell pots and pans, small appliances, utensils, dishes, storage items and prepared food that YOU cook or reheat. The vendors do most of any cooking and that is not much.  Other than the small portion of Davids show at the beginning where he shows what ingredients go into something (he doesn't cook it on the show) there is no cooking per se.    Just my opinionWoman Indifferent

I totally diagree with you.   In order to discribe the uses of kitchen equiptment and how to cook with it, you NEED cooking experience.   It shows!  As does the lack of vocabulary in describing food and its presentation, care, preparation, teste, cooking, ingredients, etc.   It's like a blind person describing a painting!   

A host in a cooking show must be able to know the uses of a piece of equipment and be believable.  Experience shows.  And so does vacuousness.  

@NYwoman  David has absolutely no cooking experience and never 'cooks' on his show. I suppose we should get rid of him also.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@NYwoman wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@NYwoman  David has absolutely no cooking experience and never 'cooks' on his show. I suppose we should get rid of him also.

David wrote a few cookbooks.   He knows ingredients and techniques of cooking.  He is like the Katie Lee, Ree Drummond, and Sandra Lee rather than the Bobby Flay, Alex Guarnaschelli, and Geoffrey Zakarian.  He has learned by training with classic chefs and much personal study.   He can work with and develop a recipe.  It shows.  

A person who just heats up someone else's dish is not someone who I can get advise and insight on spending $100 on a new cooking equiptment.  Simple.  

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@NYwoman wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

David wrote a few cookbooks.   He knows ingredients and techniques of cooking.  He is like the Katie Lee, Ree Drummond, and Sandra Lee rather than the Bobby Flay, Alex Guarnaschelli, and Geoffrey Zakarian.  He has learned by training with classic chefs and much personal study.   He can work with and develop a recipe.  It shows.  

A person who just heats up someone else's dish is not someone who I can get advise and insight on spending $100 on a new cooking equiptment.  Simple.  

@NYwoman  You are totally wrong about DV as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't do any of those things. Look at his homemade meals. Typical meals anyone prepares. We'll have to agree to disagree. If he's a great cook, then I must be fantastic. Anyone can write a cookbook. Mary Beth did. Very simple.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYwoman and @proudlyfromNJ  - I think you're both sort of saying the same thing: David is a home cook, not a chef, and he always states this. The difference in what I'm seeing in your posts is "experience" versus "training." David is certainly experienced in the kitchen and has been cooking for a long time, but he is not professionally trained to cook as many of the guests/vendors mentioned by @NYwoman are.

However, at least for me, that doesn't mean he isn't qualified to share recipes and tips with viewers—he's a host on a kitchen show, not a chef focused primarily on executing or teaching specific techniques, so his approach is actually more likely to mirror that of the people watching him than the approach of someone who went to culinary school might be. Both approaches have value and can be appreciated accordingly.

Honored Contributor

Mary Beth's fudge recipe is out of this world. Her and her sister look pretty well nourished, so, they know how to cook and Mary Beth has had some cookbooks on amazon.

Won't see Kerstan , Kierstan, however, you spell her name pushing choc/butterscotch fudge. LOL

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@NYwoman wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

Which classic chefs has he trained with?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky