Contributor

I'm wanting to dive into the world of air fryers and I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations for me.  What kind of air fryer do you have and do you like it, what features should I look for - basically any info you feel like sharing.  The TSV looks great but I'm still on the fence.  Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor

I have a small cook's essential and a larger Phillips and love them but if I were buying one now I would get one with a ceramic basket rather than a wire one.  It looks like the TSV doesn't have a wire basket.

Honored Contributor

I dont know much abourt air fryers but the TSV cooking area looks very small.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

Re: Air fryer question

[ Edited ]

If you love crispy food, buy one!  I bought the Paula Deen 5.3 qt. back in November and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  I happen to love fried shrimp and have prepared frozen breaded shrimp for years in the big oven and toaster oven. The first time I made fried shrimp in the air fryer, I was blown away with the crispy deliciousness and have been every time since..  No doubt about it, best I have ever eaten.  I also enjoy sweet potatoe fries, waffle fries, toasted cheese & tomato sandwiches and just plain toast, etc.

I would say buy the biggest one you can find because you can only cook as much food as fills the bottom of the basket.  Lots of people have more than one for that reason.  Also, buy several air fyer cook books.  My favorite is Air Fry Everything by Meredith Laurance, the Blue Jean Chef.  You will need to experiment with cooking temps and times.  My son has a convection oven and told me to lower the cooking temp 50 degrees F when following a normal (non-air fryer) recipe.  I didn't realize air frying is convection cooking.

It took me a while to realize that lining the basket with aluminum foil would make clean up much simpler.  Also, you will need to wipe down the entire inside cavity of the fryer ever so often.  I also wipe down the heating element because it gets spattered with oil and food.  Btw, lots of frozen food already has oil on it and spraying more oil on it is not needed (such as my frozen breaded shrimp and frozen sweet potato fries).  

Regular Contributor

Zanna-I just bought the Paula Deen one too and love it!  Mine is 5.3 qts I believe-that was the biggest one I could find. Hubby was very skeptical about it but I've made him fried chicken the first night I  had it and he loved it.  I also made zucchini sticks and they turned out nice.  I like the fact that there is no grease and oil and a lot less clean up. 

I am looking for some airfryer cook books so thanks for that info.   I've been going by the guide that came with the fryer and it only has a few recipes.  I agree to buy the biggest one you can find.

Honored Contributor

@pegsue wrote:

Zanna-I just bought the Paula Deen one too and love it!  Mine is 5.3 qts I believe-that was the biggest one I could find. Hubby was very skeptical about it but I've made him fried chicken the first night I  had it and he loved it.  I also made zucchini sticks and they turned out nice.  I like the fact that there is no grease and oil and a lot less clean up. 

I am looking for some airfryer cook books so thanks for that info.   I've been going by the guide that came with the fryer and it only has a few recipes.  I agree to buy the biggest one you can find.

@pegsue If you click on the Air Fryer's QVC sells you can download the recipes for those fryer's if they are still listed on each product page. You can also Google other brand air fryer's to save their recipe booklet. Emeril's recipes are posted on the TSV product page if you want to download those. I just saved them.

Super Contributor

Nightowlz, I haven't tried fried chicken yet; now I will!  I did try fried port chops using Paula Deen's recipe that came with the fryer.  They were overdone but not totally inedible.  I have tried few of Paula's recipes without much success.  I just love plain old whole wheat toast done in the air fryer.  I used the little rack but don't put the bread in the slots - it kept vibrating loose and ending up under the rack.  Since it's just me, I just lay the bread on top of the rack.  Love that it gets crunchy all the way through.  I need to make a point of experimenting more.  Always look forward to my fried shrimp!  

Honored Contributor

Emeril is on all day today and if David is working for a change he should be going to town on them , tonight.

Valued Contributor

IMHO, every kitchen should be equipped with a air fryer!  I also would not buy smaller than a 5.3 qt,  I love my machine and use everyday.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

I thought they were ridiculous and then I bought the one Eric had as a TSV a couple of months ago.  One of the best kitchen items I ever bought.  (It's the Power AirFryer XL Pro)  I use it 4 or 5 times a week.  Cook only for myself.    That size works for me.  Clean up is quick and easy.