New Contributor

I have just bought the air fryer. My question in regards to the oil is -- Is the oil always added to the food or does the tablespoon or other amount go just on the food or in the bottom of the unit?.

Frequent Contributor
I've had the TSV unit for about 3 weeks now. I rarely use oil but when I do I spray it on the food. I bought an oil sprayer or you can use PAM to directly spray the food. If not, you can put the pour the small amount of oil needed directly on the food. Hope you enjoy yours! I'm loving mine
New Contributor

Thank you so much for the reply!!😊

Honored Contributor

I was wondering if you could use Pam.  It is great sprayed on grilled cheese sandwiches and I like the butter flavored on popcorn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My mother has the TSV.  She bought an oil sprayer, like stated a few posts above.  She gives a few spritz on the food.  

Trusted Contributor

A spritz of any kind of oil is all you need - doesn't have to be PAM and/or olive oil. I would never use bottled vegetable oil.  I use coconut oil most of the time, but also have the spray olive oil.  Will be buying other flavors as well. Also, any fat from the whatever you're cooking drops to the bottom so you cut down a lot on the grease and oil.  Hope you enjoy your air fryer.  I love mine and I don't love kitchen appliances EVER ...

Honored Contributor

Re: Air fryer and oil

[ Edited ]

@katzer

When I first got mine I bought a few pre-made appetizer type things to try the unit out with. I had french fries, pizza pocket bites (can't think of what they're called LOL), onions rings... I did not put any oil on any of them & they all came out perfect. 

I did put a little on some raw chicken wings I tried (VERY little) another time just so I could get the spices to stick.

I go really light, I brushed it on until I have a chance to get a spritzer.

The demonstrations I saw Sunday to me made it seem like you had to add that tablespoon of oil to everything but you do not.

Honored Contributor

No don't add the oil to the pan or bottom pan. Spritz the food or toss it in a little oil.  You don't need it on everything you cook.

I bought a spray can of coconut oil & olive oil without the propellants.

I do spray frozen french fries half way through when I open to shake so I can add Himalayan sea salt so it will stick to the fries. 

If anyone knows of a good spritzer I can put oil in that does not leak please post the brand you are using. I want to buy one but figure they probably leak.

Super Contributor

Nightowlz, I got the CHEFVANTAGE oil or vinegar mister from Amazon, and it's wonderful!  It doesn't clog and sprays a really fine mist.  I believe it was about $25, kind of pricey but worth it to me.  HTH!

Honored Contributor

Looks like it would be in the manual that would come with it