Honored Contributor

Is an instapot a glorified pressure cooker?

What are some of the foods that can be cooked in an air fryer?  Can you cook a meatloaf or a roast in an air fryer or is it strictly for fried foods?

Thanks

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

I have both. The only things I tend to cook in the air fryer are french fries and roasted vegetables. I haven't used it that much.

The Instant Pot I use almost every day, especially now that it's soup and casserole season. I had a Ninja 3 in 1 cooker that I used every day, year round, but it died. The Instant Pot is basically the same thing, but has a pressure cooker function too, which is great, because I tend to pull frozen hunks of things out at the last minute. It's 1 pot cooking...saute in the pot, then pressure cook. I really love it. 

I just saw an ad for a new thing Ninja has that is basically an Instant Pot with an air fryer lid attached to it, so it's both.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Is an instapot a glorified pressure cooker?

What are some of the foods that can be cooked in an air fryer?  Can you cook a meatloaf or a roast in an air fryer or is it strictly for fried foods?

Thanks

NO!  An Instant Pot is a far better and improved pressure cooker.  I started with a Presto 30 years ago from mom's house, and had a ******or stovetop, and a QVC electric one and a Cuisinart one and a ******or electric thinking they would be better and they all had issues such as hard to close lids and were very picky about settings and how the vents worked.

Sometimes you'd think they were properly closed, then realize they didn't come to pressure.  We used them but always had to fool around with them to get them to seal just right.  They were so much trouble we didn't really use them much.

The Instant Pot lid goes on easily, seals and is easy to set the controls.  It cooks beautifully.  

If you really want a stovetop one, the Fissler brand is THE way to go.

Respected Contributor

I have both appliances.  I do chicken, hamburgers, mini meatloaves, fish, veggies, fries, veggies, corn nuggets, anything that I put in the oven.  I can do a few servings in this and not have to heat up the house with the oven.  I use my 6qt Instant Pot several times a week.  I love soups and stews, so this is excellent.  I've also done meatloaf with potatoes, at the same time, to make meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  Boiled eggs are super easy and peel very easily even very fresh eggs.  I love it for steaming veggies as pressure steaming/cooking preserves more vitamins.  I do pasta dishes like mushrooms, alfredo, and tortellini or the recipe with hamburger, spaghetti, and sauce too!  Chicken for chicken salad is super easy as well.  I like and use both appliances weekly.  Fish in the air fryer is excellent especially salmon!

Honored Contributor

Have both air fryer and pressure cooker is good. But having it all-in-one is what I want...that Ninja Foodi!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Have both air fryer and pressure cooker is good. But having it all-in-one is what I want...that Ninja Foodi!

@SilleeMee.  I'm always dubious about the quality of Ninja appliances.  It's a johnny-come-lately manufacturer which I don't entirely trust.  Asking them to make an air fryer/pressure cooker is like trusting them to make a reliable A-bomb.  I just wouldn't.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: Air fryer and insta pot

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee.  I'm always dubious about the quality of Ninja appliances.  It's a johnny-come-lately manufacturer which I don't entirely trust.  Asking them to make an air fryer/pressure cooker is like trusting them to make a reliable A-bomb.  I just wouldn't.

Although I seem to be fascinated by the new Ninja, it just doesn't seem practical to me.  I often use both my pressure cooker and air fryer to make a meal (meat in the pressure cooker and potatoes or side dish in the air fryer) I don't think I would like a two-in-one. 

It also makes me think of the old TV/Stereo cabinets in the 70s -- too much "stuff" in one and if one part breaks you have this huge device that only one part of it works.  I am not a fan of combo-unit anything anymore.  I thought the transformer days were a thing of the past Smiley Wink